MokuTiZr (Mokume Titanium Zirconium) Custom Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made from a 16 mm round bar of 4 alloy MokuTiZr or (apparently the actual term is Mokume Titanium Laminate Zirconium Damascus ). I looked at this material on the internet for over a year and hesitated to buy it as the material is pretty pricey. I enjoy working with Mokume Gane thought I would give it a try and bought a rod long enough for one pen. The material looked like stainless steel after turning off the first layer. It seems tougher than stainless to machine. Used a torch to get the desired finish. I liked the gold and blue and tried going up on torch time on the ends and section which clears the blue. It took some getting used to and had to refinish a few times to get this result. Hope you like it.
I wanted to wish each and everyone of you a Holiday Season full of health, hope and happiness.
Warmest Regards, Doc:)

MokuTi Titanium Zirconium Damascus Fountain Pen20191225_002_1.JPGMokuTi Titanium Zirconium Damascus Fountain Pen20191225_004_1.JPGMokuTi Titanium Zirconium Damascus Fountain Pen20191225_016_1.JPGMokuTi Titanium Zirconium Damascus Fountain Pen20191225_014_3_1.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That is an impressive pen, to say the least !!!!

Thank you for the good wishes ... the same go to you, and to everyone else, from me !

TonyL

Beautiful! You will not find many of these around. Did you turn it on a wood lathe?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks to Seamus, or I would have missed this. Doc, it is exquisite.
what would the colours be if you had etched it instead of heat anodised it?

wizard

Thank you guys for words of encouragement.
Tony, this material gives new meaning to the word tough. It would be very difficult to turn on a wood lathe as your tools would take a pounding.
The material looked like stainless steel after turning off the first layer. It seems tougher than stainless to machine.
Keep in mind that is a four alloy material Mokume Titanium Laminate Zirconium Damascus. It is primarily titanium and exceptionally light.
Stephen, I'm not sure what the colours would be. I don't really have the experience in etching.. But willing to try.
Attached are pictures of rough machining of the material
Regards,
Doc:)

MokuTi Zr_5.JPGMokuTi Zr_2.JPGMokuTi Zr_3.JPG

Top Bottom