Mokume Gane, Ebonite and Argentium Silver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made this gradually over the the course of a week or so. It's a custom fountain pen made with copper and nickel-silver Mokume Gane with ebonite and Argentium sterling silver accents. The mokume was machined, finished, etched, patinated and lacquered. The accents were also lacquered to prevent the ebonite from oxidizing the Argentium silver bands. The bands were formed around a ring mandrel, soldered and polished. Section is also from ebonite. Nib is a Delta14K medium point. Thanks for looking! Doc:).

Attachments

• Mokume and Ebonite.jpg
    Mokume and Ebonite.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 357
  • Mokume and Ebonite_1.jpg
    Mokume and Ebonite_1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Mokume and Ebonite_2.jpg
    Mokume and Ebonite_2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Mokume and Ebonite_3.jpg
    Mokume and Ebonite_3.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 336
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgsean

Stunning pen, so much talent Doc. Tell me how long did you take to make this pen from start to finish? Do you sell your pens? If you don't mind sharing if you do sell, what would this go for? Love your dedication to the art of pen making! So inspiring! WOW

Kaspar

That is outstanding. Can't say enough about how good this pen looks. Making something like this out MG or Damascus has long been a goal of mine, but the rods are pricey and I'd have a few new things to learn. Encouraging to see others doing it. May yet give it a try.

Last edited:

Brooks803

That is outstanding. Can't say enough about how good this pen looks. Making something like this out MG or Damascus has long been a goal of mine, but the rods are pricey and I'd have a few new things to learn. Encouraging to see others doing it. May yet give it a try.

They're both goals of mine and I've got rods of both! Doc, you keep making pens I've had in my head for years. Yours always look much better than I can imagine!

Kaspar

They're both goals of mine and I've got rods of both! Doc, you keep making pens I've had in my head for years. Yours always look much better than I can imagine!

My situation is limited in both space and money and especially just now time, so I have stay within that for now.

But ever since I saw Damascus used at Tighe Pens (he gets his rods from Damasteel, I think), I've wanted to do it. The main problem for me would be the hardening after the machining.

Or perhaps that isn't really necessary?

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Look at YOU...putting bands on a pen?:biggrin:

This is over the top Doc! I like what you did with this one. And, since you've had problems with your private messages, CONGRATULATIONS on your membership in the Guild!:wink::biggrin:

wizard

Thank You!

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement!:)
Doc:)

Stunning pen, so much talent Doc. Tell me how long did you take to make this pen from start to finish? Do you sell your pens? If you don't mind sharing if you do sell, what would this go for? Love your dedication to the art of pen making! So inspiring! WOW

Sean, It took me about 9 to 10 hours on and off the course of a week.
Nope..don't sell them. Give them away as gifts to my patients, friends, family and also donate them to galas for auction to a charitable cause for children. The only idea of what a pen like this goes for is somewhat inflated as they sell at auctions for benefits. My pens usually bring between $500 to $3750 during a gala. But usually the galas consist of bidding among individuals with large egos and equally large wallets... lol...I don't really care as long as the kids and a worthy cause gets most of the money.

My situation is limited in both space and money and especially just now time, so I have stay within that for now.

But ever since I saw Damascus used at Tighe Pens (he gets his rods from Damasteel, I think), I've wanted to do it. The main problem for me would be the hardening after the machining.

Or perhaps that isn't really necessary?

Eric,
The Mokume I use comes from Mike Sakmar who makes it for William Henry who sell both pens and knives.

Sakmar Enterprises, LLC - Home

The Mokume consists of brass, nickel-silver and copper and work hardening is not really an issue. Damascus and Koftgari Damascus is steel and a different story... To work with it, I use tangential cutter made by Eccentric Engineering in Australia.

Diamond Tool Holder

Regards,

Look at YOU...putting bands on a pen?:biggrin:

This is over the top Doc! I like what you did with this one. And, since you've had problems with your private messages, CONGRATULATIONS on your membership in the Guild!:wink::biggrin:

Chuck, Thank you! I'm really sorry if I missed a PM :redface:.
Regards,

Last edited:

wizard

Since this has copper, and nickel in it......How smooth are the threads when you screw it together???

Mark,
My experience with the threads on Mokume, both made with nickel-silver/copper or made with nickel-silver/brass/copper are such that cap and body mate in a virtually very smooth, quiet fashion. I have wondered if that has been due to the versatile and malleable properties of copper. Very different from steel/stainless steel threads.

Last edited:

wizard

Doc

Was this triple or the new double threads?

These were triple start 12mm X 0.8mm. Am going to try double start on same material next and will let you know. Ty, many many thanks again for what has got to be smoothest execution of the mother of all group buys!!

Top Bottom