Moisture Meter Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have researched many sites and reviews, but really trust my IAP brain trust buddies most.

I am looking for a decent home-use moisture meter. Simply for my property cut lumber, so no heavy usage.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I have a Dr. Meter pinless. The absolute numbers aren't that trustworthy IMHO, simply because the density input has such a large impact. But if you have a dry reference board you can get decent comparisons. For small blanks I prefer the "weigh it until it stops losing weight" method. If I was to do it again, I would probably go for a pin-type meter.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I tried the General MMD4E pin type, about $35 from Amazon. Despite my best efforts to use it properly, I just could not get consistent results. I'd take a reading, then an inch away on the same board a second reading would be +/-5% different. I gave up and returned it. Not sure what I really expected from a $35 instrument, but better than what I got.

1080Wayne

I have a Timber Check B350 pin type which I seldom use anymore . Have switched to weighing everything , 5 kg x 1 gm pad scale for small pieces , 75 lb scale balance with a hook for a sling for larger heavier pieces .

My experience echoes Jeff`s in consistency . Readings different by several %age points are common , and probably shouldn`t be unexpected , given the way wood structure changes near branches .

Pins bend , particulary in hard fairly dry woods , as you try to get them deep enough to give a reading . Doing that on a board may leave marks where you end up not wanting to see them .

Pins may not be long enough to go through thick bark . No experience on large diameter stuff , but would expect radial differences from pith to the new wood close to active fluid transport when checking end grain . Those differnces would change with wood harvest season .

I have a pin-type that I'm willing to sell cheap. Rarely used it, but it works just fine. Let me find it, look at the maker and model, and I'll get back to you.

This is the meter I have and am willing to part with. Retails for about $185. If you can use a pin-type, send me a PM and we'll talk.

Top Bottom