Modified slimline in brass

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I have tried all of the obvious materials, and many combinations, for pen blanks (wide range of woods, various plastics, and aluminum), but I had not tried brass. Finding ½" round brass bar stock where I live at a price that does not require a bank loan is not easy. AliExpress to the rescue. The material arrived yesterday, and I embarked upon a new drilling and turning experience today. The result is attached. I used the traditional approach to hard plastics for finishing, ie. wet sanding with Abranet to 600, micro mesh to 12000, and then Hut plastic polish. Next time I will try a metal polish. I would be interested in the finishing method of others for brass. I may well do more :).

Attachments

• brass1.jpg
    brass1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 142
  • brass2.jpg
    brass2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice; I'm a fan. I borrowed a metal lathe for a few months and tinkered with aluminum - it was FUN! Very little experience after, but I appreciate the journey and you have a good result. Happy trails. 👍 👍

NGLJ

Thanks to both for your comments. The experience was quite different than aluminum, where you get spirals of aluminum sharp enough to make a nasty mess of you if you are not careful! With the brass it turns off as small "chunks", which is much easier to manage. I could not think of any other turning experience that I have had that was exactly the same. I guess very dense, hard woods might be close, and that would make some sense. All in all, I am very pleased that I did it. I already have another one planned, but not for a slimline pen.

NGLJ

I don't doubt that the brass will eventually tarnish without some kind of protective coating. I guess I could try CA, or re-polish occasionally. I would never have thought of toothpaste as a polish for brass, but it makes perfect sense. Good idea :). I was thinking that I might try the car detailing products as a polish.

Top Bottom