MODIFIED SLIM LINES

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aRMdaMAN

These have me hooked for now
Although they are finished in CA, would also like to try FRICTION POLISHING some of these beautiful Woods
Thanks for looking
Critique to improve/or whatever most welcome
TIA
ATB
TC
aRM

Attachments

• BRAZILIAN WALNUT 1.jpg
    BRAZILIAN WALNUT 1.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 110
  • BRAZILIAN WALNUT 2.jpg
    BRAZILIAN WALNUT 2.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 114
  • CAMEL THORN 1.jpg
    CAMEL THORN 1.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 106
  • CAMEL THORN 2.jpg
    CAMEL THORN 2.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 105
  • ARG LIGNUM VITAE 1.3.jpg
    ARG LIGNUM VITAE 1.3.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 98
  • ARG LIGNUM VITAE 2.3.jpg
    ARG LIGNUM VITAE 2.3.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 92
  • ARG LIGNUM VITAE 3.3.jpg
    ARG LIGNUM VITAE 3.3.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 109
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aRMdaMAN

Just an after thought on the ARGENTIAN LIGNUM VITAE
The original pieces are GREEN on the Exterior
The attached pics show them quite Bland in that colour
Is there something we are missing here ???
Would be nice to know
TIA
ATB
TC
aRM

mdburn_em

Those are gorgeous. It appears that the Camel Thorn has some serious depth to it.

Many, many woods change color as part of an oxidizing process. For example, Purpleheart fades from purple to brown over time. I suspect the same has happened with the Lignum Vitae

Kenny Durrant

Very nice wood and finishes. Why would you want a different finish? My experience with friction polishes are that they wear off really fast. In fact most looked pretty dull after pressing them together. I like what you have there. Thanks for showing.

aRMdaMAN

Those are gorgeous. It appears that the Camel Thorn has some serious depth to it.

Many, many woods change color as part of an oxidizing process. For example, Purpleheart fades from purple to brown over time. I suspect the same has happened with the Lignum Vitae
Thank You, Sir
Yes. Indeed. That CAMEL THORN is really beautiful with lovely Chatoyance
Good thing U mentioned Purple Heart
Have some. Must take caution with it !!!
ATB
TC
aRM

aRMdaMAN

Very nice wood and finishes. Why would you want a different finish? My experience with friction polishes are that they wear off really fast. In fact most looked pretty dull after pressing them together. I like what you have there. Thanks for showing.
Thank You, Sir
Well, to be honest, a Gentleman some time ago mentioned that Friction polished wood looked too PLASTICY for him !!!
Good thing U brought that up
I have some Finished and un-assembled that way.
Am gonna go right back to what U just said and do that extra bit with the CA Finishes
That deep lustre to the Wood from CA is truly eye-catching
Thanks a Zillion again for pointing us in the right Direction
'Tis much appreciated
ATB
TC
aRM

JohnU

If the CA is too shiny for your liking, just use a little extra fine steel wool to dull the finish. I agree with the comment above, friction polish will wear off with normal use. I used it when I first started and once I got away from it I found out how durable a finish can be. Nice group! Thanks for sharing!

wouldentu2?

Very nice, modified slim lines are a good way to show off the blank without that center band. You might try dipping the pens in lacquer or water based poly.

sorcerertd

Nice! Camelthorn is a really nice (and unique) wood. The ALV does usually change color with exposure to light. I've had a cigar that was sitting around for a while "ripening". It get's brighter with time, unlike many other woods. What I love most about that is the smell! I hate to put CA on it because of that.

keithbyrd

These are very well done and I love the finish!
I am going to ask a "stoopid" question that once I get the answer too I will be embarrassed! How do you change the refill?

aRMdaMAN

If the CA is too shiny for your liking, just use a little extra fine steel wool to dull the finish. I agree with the comment above, friction polish will wear off with normal use. I used it when I first started and once I got away from it I found out how durable a finish can be. Nice group! Thanks for sharing!
Hi JOHNU
I think I've made up my mind now on the desirable Finish - thanks wholly to U Guys
Much appreciated
ATB
TC
aRM

aRMdaMAN

Very nice, modified slim lines are a good way to show off the blank without that center band. You might try dipping the pens in lacquer or water based poly.
Thank U kindly
Methinks we've made up our minds now. CA is the way to go.
It's durable, long lasting and most importantly - attractive. really brings out the beauty of Wood
ATB
TC
aRM

aRMdaMAN

Nice! Camelthorn is a really nice (and unique) wood. The ALV does usually change color with exposure to light. I've had a cigar that was sitting around for a while "ripening". It get's brighter with time, unlike many other woods. What I love most about that is the smell! I hate to put CA on it because of that.
Hello there TODD
Thanks for the response and the info
Much appreciated
Talking of nice Wood smell, we also like that of BRAZILIAN WALNUT. It also has lovely chatoyance.
Pic of that Pen already posted as well. Oooops !!! Repeated in error
ATB
TC
aRM

Attachments

• BRAZILIAN WALNUT 1.jpg
    BRAZILIAN WALNUT 1.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 38
  • BRAZILIAN WALNUT 2.jpg
    BRAZILIAN WALNUT 2.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 31

aRMdaMAN

These are very well done and I love the finish!
I am going to ask a "stoopid" question that once I get the answer too I will be embarrassed! How do you change the refill?
Hello there KEITH
There's NO such thing as a "stoopid" Q - was instilled that awhile ago !!!
U see the TIP is held firm to Twist the BODY and expose the Refill
Now all U gotta do is hold the TIP firmly and just pull out the REFILL which is attached to the MECHANISM inside the BARREL - giving U access to the CROSS style Refill, which is Threaded to the Rear of the MECHANISM.
Unscrew the REFILL change it, insert all into the BARREL again - and Bob's Your Uncle !!!. Quite simple when U know how !!!
Hope it is all clear to Ya now
ATB
TC
aRM

keithbyrd

Thank you for your explanation! To repeat my "stoopid" statement! another related question - doesn't the refill mechanism get loose and sloppy after pulling it out a few times?

aRMdaMAN

Thank you for your explanation! To repeat my "stoopid" statement! another related question - doesn't the refill mechanism get loose and sloppy after pulling it out a few times?
Hi KEITH
Don't understand Your question
The twist Mechanism, the refill is screwed onto the Mechanism
Bit confused what exactly U referring to
aRM

Top Bottom