Modified El Toro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darrin1200

darrin1200

The wife of one of my clients wanted to give her husband a pen for christmas this year. Her budget didn't quite allow for a full custom pen, so I decided to do a modified kit with one of my alumilite blanks. His favorite is black pens.

I used an El Toro for the base, as I picked some up on sale a while back. I like the silver hardware, but not the small length. He likes larger pens. I did a closed end barrel, but ran into problems with the length. Because of the nature of the blank, I needed to use the brass tube to be able to insert the section. I thought, No problem. I'll just drill it out full length for the converter with a 9mm bit, and then drill out a shallow hole for the tube. Worked all the way up to the final finishing cuts. Kabooom. The blank is not strong enough without some kind of support. Normally on my custom pens, I sleeve it with ebonite or alumilite. Since I was working with a kit pen, no problem with these blanks, I never considered that half of the barrel was unsupported.

Second round, I needed a tube that would go the full length for the converter, but let me install the kits front section. I ended up using a Chalk holder tube, but it was a little to big I.D. So I thinned down the outside of the El Toro tube until it just slid in, and epoxied it in place. Turning went well after that.

I forgot to mention, that I used my new metal lathe, to A: thin down the brass tube, and B: make a custom pin chuck to hold the barrel.

Pen is all finished and ready, last step is a quick tuning. I have to admit, that these are the worst nibs I have come across to date, very scratchy. I tried to change it up for one of my Heritance nibs, but it wouldn't fit.
There is no feed holder to screw in and out, and the feed is a very loose fit in this section. When you push the nib in with the feed, it is actually the side edges of the nib that wedge in and hold it in place. Because of the shape of the Heritance nib, it would not wedge in, and would therefore not stay in the section. When I tried to reinstall the stock nib, the feed would not fully lock in, it is fairly easy to slide it out, leaving the nib stuck in place. Not sure how these were originally installed, perhaps a dab of shellac.

About 40 minutes later, I finally got the stock nib fairly smooth, and holding in place. It is a very wet writer, we'll see how he likes it. If he doesn't, then I think I will have to make a new section for it.

Does anyone know the thread pitch for the El Toro section?

Here are a couple of pictures, the pen is going out today.

Comments and Critiques always welcome.

Attachments

• Set01 (2).jpg
    Set01 (2).jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 264
  • Set03 (2).jpg
    Set03 (2).jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Set06 (2).jpg
    Set06 (2).jpg
    152 KB · Views: 222
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Good looking pen Darrin. Any particular reason you didn't just use two tubes end to end? For some reason 10 x 1mm comes to mind for the section thread but don't count on it. If you have an El Grande section see if the threads fit the El Toro. They are 10 x mm too.

Last edited:

its_virgil

Nice work. It is too late for this one but when I want to make the el toro longer i use the barrel tube from the el presidente kit from Berea or one or the Berea resellers. Like what you did.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

darrin1200

Thanks guys

Pete. I didn't use 2 tubes, because i was afraid of the joint being a weak spot. 1mm of burl is not verystrong. I'll see if i have a 10x1 tap.

Don. I was just using what i had on hand. Because of the issues i had with the section, I don't know if i will make another one of these. I do like the silver rings though.

Sandsini

Darrin,
I really like what you did with the El Toro components. I had the same problem with trying to make a closed end El Grande in one of George's Palm Root Resifills. After the unsupported resifill came apart where the tube was absent I ended up scrapping the idea and made it out of Alumilite instead. You did a great job seeing it through to the end.

BTW, the El Grande has the same sort of slide-in feed and I've found that the Bock #6s do a great job replacing the stock nib.

Top Bottom