modified Cigarillo with new SKM-88 click mechanism

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood4fun

wood4fun

ok just for fun i made 2 of these, the tubes are 4 1/16" long and the click mechanism smooth,
pomelle bubinga and curly maple, the other is a dura click long tube that's made out of curly makore

Attachments

• z30.JPG
    z30.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 254
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@wood4fun

The Cigarillo kit ... did you use the kit from CSUSA and then make modifications ?

Here's the CSUSA instruction sheet : https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/docs/cigarillo_pen.pdf

That kit is based on two 7 mm brass tubes and a Cross refill .... did you stick with the 7 mm size and the Cross refill ?

If so, I'm wondering how you attached the SKM-88 click mechanism because it's too big to thread into a 7 mm tube.

Also, you would have had to add a spring when you converted from the twist operation to the click operation.
And then, the problem is that the Cross refill is not designed to work with a spring.

I'd be interested in knowing further details about the modifications that you made, please. . Thanks.

Last edited:

magpens

Thanks for your conversation, Bill.

I think that most of the questions I had are now answered.

I realize now that the DuraClick "long tube" (as you called it) is actually the PSI DuraClick SLIM.

Also, other people might not know that the Cigarillo (a CSUSA product) and the DuraClick Slim both use Cross refills. . I was thinking Parker refill all this time. . The fact that Cross refills are used here might be a sticking point for some other people as well.

One other point of possible confusion is that the DuraClick Slim starts out as a click pen, whereas the Cigarillo, as purchased, is a twist pen which you have converted to a click pen by adding the SKM-88 mechanism to work in the same way as in the DuraClick Slim .

Finally, the DuraClick Slim can work as a click pen with a Cross refill because PSI has jiggered around with the center band to hold the spring at one end while the other end of the spring bumps up against the black plastic piece at the top end of the Cross refill . . To me it was a foreign concept to think of a spring being used with a Cross refill. . But now I get it ! . Thanks again for the clarifying discussion, Bill, and for pointing me to the instruction sheet.

Your conversion of the Cigarillo to a click pen is quite innovative and parallels my own work (recently reported here on IAP) and the work of @DrD.
We have both been doing some work with the Berea Cigar, a larger pen, in converting it from a two-barrel twist pen to a single-barrel click pen.
Our work was motivated by a report in the IAP Resources (Library) done by Ron Hossack (2009) and contained in the file onepiececigarpen.pdf

I have recently expanded that work by using a SKM-88 click mechanism on the single-barrel Cigar click pen and that was reported just days ago :

The final finishing touches have now been added to this design and will be reported in the near future.

So, Bill .... hopefully you can see why I have been so intensely interested in your Cigarillo conversion to a click pen with a SKM-88 mechanism.

Our recently reported works have been very closely related, but I use the Parker refill in mine while you are using Cross refills.

Last edited:
Top Bottom