MkIII Stainless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

Lately I have made a few custom pens, based on the Slimline chassis. MkI, and MkII, some custom components, but still used the Slimline nose cone and a Cigar clip.
I have decided for MkIII ( which will be my final attempt at this project ) I would manufacture all visible components.
I have used 316 stainless to make the nose cone, centerband, and finial cap.
I still have to make the clip out of some stainless sheet.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_9393.jpg
    DSC_9393.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 405
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Looking good so far.

I have always avoided trying to machine stainless, thinking it is hard. . How did you find it ? . Carbide cutter ?

Ironwood

That looks good. Do you use carbide insert tooling or HSS? Also, is that brazing on the finial.
I mostly use carbide inserts to do the bulk of the cutting, but I switch to a piece of HSS with a sharp point for cleaning up the internal corners, the carbide has a a radius on the point.
That brass you can see is the remnants of a brass washer that I put under the hex drive bolt so I could cut the head to size for pressing into the brass tube. The bolt also holds the clip in place.

Looking good so far.

I have always avoided trying to machine stainless, thinking it is hard. . How did you find it ? . Carbide cutter ?
Yes, I like carbide for stainless, I don't have any trouble with it. HSS will cut stainless also, but will need sharpening after a few cuts.

Ironwood

I forgot to add, I also use a HSS parting tool, And HSS drill bits, I use coolant for these operations. My lathe doesn't have a coolant system, so I just use a plastic spray bottle and squirt some on when needed.

Top Bottom