Mixing different thicknesses of CA glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eppen

Hi all

Just have a quick question if I can mix different consistencies of CA glue
I use EZ Bond and I have run out of medium but have a lot of thin and thick.
Could it work if I mixed them to make my own medium.

Best

Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mallinpens

Like I say in one of my YouTube videos...everyone and their mama does CA differently. I look at it like painting a house...several thin coats vs one thick coat...though, I guess as long as the house gets painted, it's all good. đź‘Ť

BCnabe

I use Mercury Flex CA and talked with the folks that make it and they said it is not an issue mixing thin and thick to create a consistency that you like as long as it is the same brand and type of CA.

Their thin CA is about 20 cps and their medium is 300 cps. I find the thick to be too thick at times (leaves ridges).

I've mixed my own bottles so that I have some at about 160 cps (25% medium/75% thin) and one at about 240 cps (75% medium/25% thin). I typically do a few coats of thin CA and then 6-10 coats of the 160 cps. On open grain woods I'll use a few coats of 240. I rarely use the medium 300 on it's own.

DrD

After much experimenting with finding a good finish for "oily" woods, it appears to me I get less chance of oil from inside the blank "bleeding" out and ruining/compromising the finish if the first 2 or 3 "sealing" coats are done with thin CA. I know this is different from the GluBoost and perhaps other protocols, but it continues to work for me. Your mileage will most probably vary.

mallinpens

After much experimenting with finding a good finish for "oily" woods, it appears to me I get less chance of oil from inside the blank "bleeding" out and ruining/compromising the finish if the first 2 or 3 "sealing" coats are done with thin CA. I know this is different from the GluBoost and perhaps other protocols, but it continues to work for me. Your mileage will most probably vary.
Agree. 100%.

Reactions: DrD

Woodchipper

Oily woods- wipe with acetone or DNA before applying CA. Just use what you have. Chemical engineer told me the difference in the glues is the viscosity- same glue otherwise.

Top Bottom