Mixing colors

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryconn

Ok, I have played around a little with PR casting and have about 15-20 blanks of different colors, but one of the things I want to do is make some blanks similar to those that I have seen Billy B and Ed D make where the colors are somewhat layered but yet have some inter-mingling where the two colors meet. I can't figure out how that is done? Do you pour one color then let it set up some then pour a bit of the next color and somehow mash it into the first color, then finish pouring the 2nd color? Any help would be much appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrplace

Pour both colors at the same time. Use a 1" pvc pipe as a mold, the larger works better for me. I then pour both colors side by side and try to keep it as even as possible.

The other thing you can do is pour a quarter to half of the mold and then pour the next color on top. If you dont want it blended as much, use a stir stick to brake the stream by hold the stick in the mold and pouring on the stick and let it dripple off the stick on to the bottom color. Did that make any sense?[B)]

Jerryconn

Yes and thanks, I am trying to get some swirling or inter-mingling of the colors but yet have distinct layers or areas of the individual colors when trying to 2 or 3 colors in the same blank. If that makes sense [?] I have seen blanks that YoYoSpin and Alamocdc have made that are more or less what I'm trying to do.

Draken

Also note that some colors are heavier than others, depending on what the colorant is. I first poured a red color, the wanted to top it off with orange. All of the orange sank to the bottom pushing the red to the top. Not quite what I wanted, but a need looking effect none the less. The point I'm trying to make, is no matter how careful and precise you are, PR can and does have a mind of its own (which is half the fun anyway).

Cheers,
Draken

mrplace

Take a look at my album, I pour all my own blanks.

Another thing I have done is to cut a piece of plastic, like off the lid of butter bowls, wide enough to make a tight fit and split the 1" pvc pipe down the middle. I then pour a color on each side. I wait a few minutes and the start to slowly twist the pipe as I slowly remove the plastic insert. This has made some very interesting blanks for me.

its_virgil

Bend a 90* bend in the end of a length of small wire. Pour the colors into the mold and insert the wire at various spots, give it a twist then pull it out. Do this two or three times per blank.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by mrplace
<br />Take a look at my album, I pour all my own blanks.

Another thing I have done is to cut a piece of plastic, like off the lid of butter bowls, wide enough to make a tight fit and split the 1" pvc pipe down the middle. I then pour a color on each side. I wait a few minutes and the start to slowly twist the pipe as I slowly remove the plastic insert. This has made some very interesting blanks for me.

melogic

I'm trying to picture the 1" PVC idea. What do you cap the ends with and what length are these pieces? Also, how do you get the blanks out after drying and what kind of dry time are we talking? Do you put these in a vaccuum or pressure container to eliminate bubbling?
Do you mix the colors with the resin and then pour into your mold?

Skye

I've never done it, but I would think that a little duct tape on the end would be enough to seal the bottom. Once it hardens (24 hours?) it'll more than likely pop out because the resin shrinks a little when curing.

mrplace

I use clear packing tape over the bottom. The tubes are 6" long, and the casts pop loose when cured. Sometimes a tap on the end with a leather mallet for the stubborn ones. I dont use pressure or vaccuum when casting.

I mix my colors before adding catalyst to the resin.

mick

Unless you're wanting 1" blanks take a trip to the housewares section of Walmart and look for the ice trays that make cubes....or cylinders for water bottles similar to those cyclists use. These trays make 27 3/4 inch blanks poured up to around 4 inches IIRC. I mark the sides so I only pour enough for one half of most pens. This way there is no waste. I pour longer ones for Perfume pens or Sierras.
I use the plastic "highball" glasses and mix 4 oz of resin in each. I only add the catlyst after I have the color I want. I've even waited after adding it to achieve a ribbon like effect when poured. Then I slowly pour each color from opposite sides of the tube. As for blending your colors I do Just as Don said I bend a small wire and insert it and give it a swirl or two depending on how mixed I want the colors to be.
The best thing to remember is to be creative and with the small amounts of resin you mix each time you won't lose much if you mess up!

2006101305949_cigarrack.jpg
<br />
I've made the Cigar pens shown above as well as Barons using these 3/4 inch blanks

mrplace

Mick,

Where do you get your pigment from? I really like the translucent red and would like to get some.

On the orange and white pen, did you use an opaque white or did you just add pearl to the resin?

I will also share a secret on pigments, below is a link to tons of mica based pigments. It is not sold as "Resin Pigment", but since it is mica, it still works. You will have to be careful of the caked or clumpy powder, it has something in it that keeps it from dispersing in the resin. Out of ten that I bought, one blue wouldnt mix.

http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=35

Draken

I have the master set of pigments from artstuf.com, if you want a photo of any particular color or the whole kit, let me know. Keep in mind that the color gets a bit darker when mixed with PR, much the way clothing (most of it anyhow, white tee shirts exempted [;)]) get darker when they get wet.

Cheers,
Draken

melogic

Is there something else added to the resin to get the "Pearl" effect? For instance, the 4th one from the bottom in the picture above. The white and Orange, the white appears to be a bit pearly.

its_virgil

There is a pearlessence powder, pearlessence drops and luster powder. Some dyes come with pearlessence already added. I've even seen some resin dyes includeing pearlessence ones at Michaels..but our store closed two years ago and now I'm not familiar with that they have. There is an acrylic paint/pigment with pearlessence added...but I've not had the luck with acrylic pigments that I had hopped. Some colors seem to retard the cure time much more than others and I don't need more info to file away. I stick with resing dyes and India Ink.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by melogic
<br />Is there something else added to the resin to get the "Pearl" effect? For instance, the 4th one from the bottom in the picture above. The white and Orange, the white appears to be a bit pearly.

gerryr

Jacquard's Pearl Ex pigments are pretty commonly used to color resin. It's a powdered pigment. Michaels sells it, but only in sets. You can buy individual colors on line at places like Dick Blick.

mick

Originally posted by melogic
<br />Is there something else added to the resin to get the "Pearl" effect? For instance, the 4th one from the bottom in the picture above. The white and Orange, the white appears to be a bit pearly.
The pearl effect is achieved by a mixture of Pearlex's Macro pearl and Micro pearl which I buy from art stuf in larger sizes. Almost all my resins are colored by Pearlex or the casting craft brand opaque orr translucent pigments.. I just mix until I get a color I like. I try to keep records of colors I replicate a lot ........but sometimes I forget....lol
Mr Place the orange and pearl was an earlier resin I did and IIRC I used the marco pearl Pearlex and a little opaque white casting craft pigment.
The red I got from using Pearlex super russet and opaque red casting craft pigment. The suoer russet is a pearl color so no addition pearl is needed. BTW most of Pearlex colors ARE pearlescent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom