Mixing CA brands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bryan

I am planning to switch brands of CA, Mercury Flex or BSI Gold. I currently have almost a full 4 ounce bottle of thin Stick Fast. Is it okay to put one of the other brands in medium viscosity over it?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

I'll be interested if someone has a different opinion, but I would say generally no. CA glue bonds well to itself. I've used Stick Fast, Starbond, Glu Boost, among others, thin and medium, on top of each other when I've run low of one or the other without noticing an issue.

TonyL

Never mixed them, but I have applied one brand over another that was cured without a problem. However, I wouldn't do it again despite having no good reason for not doing it again.

MiteyF

I've applied different brands of CA over the tops of others many times and never had a problem personally.

Dieseldoc

My experience is that due to running out of one product and have need to finish project, I have use different brands in the same project with out any problems. Should note I did let they full cure before applying next product.

Woodchipper

A chemical engineer told CA is all the same but here is ethyl CA and methyl CA. Thickness is determined by the viscosity. So...Shouldn't be any issues with coating with different brands. Try a test piece.

pshrynk

I've never really paid all that much attention to the brands. I just grab a bottle out of the bin and use it after checking the viscosity. No problems so far...

mmayo

I use one brand now EZ Bond CA glue, but I have stayed with the aerosol can of stick fast accelerator. They combination work well every time. If i overspray I'm always unhappy.

RunnerVince

I typically use Starbond, but I can't get it locally, and if I run out and need some, I'll get the BSI from my local hardwood dealer. When I've switched halfway through a project, I've not seen any bad results.

Top Bottom