Mixing blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have lots of accrylics, and I want to make a walstreet pen out of multiple colors. I was thinking in order the colors would look cool as dark blue, turqouise, and the green. How could I make a single blank out of pieces of the three? Also, if there are any pictures of something like that, they would be helpful. :) :) :) :)

Thanks,
Ryan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Ryan, depends on what you want to do. I occassionally keep the cut offs from blanks and then will stack them on a tube and turn. Looks pretty good. You could just cut short pieces, either straight or at and angle and glue them together. Might be easier to drill the pieces as a whole, then cut them off and stack on the tube. Cut the long ways and separate with thin strips of something, or the coke can trick.

dntrost

Ryan as Paul said all you need to do is cut pieces glue them together (I use superglue to join them) You can also put pieces of coke can between each piece for a differant look. Also people use "pick guard" this is what is on guitar under the strings. Another trick is if you get a plastic for sale sign and cut it into pieces 3/4 X 3/4 you can use this between each piece and that looks pretty cool as well. Just give it a try...

akbar24601

Hi Ryan. the guys have given you good suggestions there. For a simple segmented blank in which you can combine your colors, put a cut at 30 or 45* on your pieces. Now glue these pieces together. Once they have cured, mark out for your tubes, cut, drill and wala! It usually ends up making for a very nice end result.

dexter0606

Ryan.
Do you mean something like this?
I cut pieces of white, red and black acrylic at a 35 degree angle and glued them together with CA.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Attachments

• Bridges1.jpg
    Bridges1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 440
Alright, Thanks again. I tried cutting a spare blank at an angle... on the band saw... and put a little piece of coke can in between after I drilled, bad idea... What tool do you use to cut at a precise angle?

Top Bottom