Mixing alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

onewaywood

On my second try at casting using there products (colours) I thought I had mixed thoroughly, but when I removed it from my tank, cut them out, and turned one round, it looks like the metalic colours stayed on top and bottom no metal colours in the middle of blank what did I do wrong, not enough mixing ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dick Mahany

I had a similar experience with Alumilite mixed with Pealex and Mica flakes cast at 40 lbs pressure. The Mica appeared to settle to the bottom but the Pearlex was relatively evenly dispersed. I suspect that even though the Alumilite seems quite viscous, the 7 minute open time still leaves enough time for heavier materials to settle due to gravity. Next time, I intend to mix it longer until I use up most of the open time prior to pressurizing it.

Sylvanite

If you stir the Alumilite Clear mix until it starts to get warm, and then immediately pour and pressurize, it should set up before the pigments get a chance to float (or sink).

I hope that helps,
Eric

healeydays

If you stir the Alumilite Clear mix until it starts to get warm, and then immediately pour and pressurize, it should set up before the pigments get a chance to float (or sink).

I hope that helps,
Eric

Eric,

In your experience, how long do you have from when it heats up to past the point of no return?

Mike

Brooks803

I hope that helps,
Eric

Eric,

In your experience, how long do you have from when it heats up to past the point of no return?

Mike

For me....about 30secs. Gotta be quick getting the pressure pot sealed!

healeydays

That That's my problem, not that quick. Going to have to start practicing like the NASCAR crew guys.

Now I just have to talk the wife into using the stopwatch...

Sylvanite

Yep, it's quick. Make sure you have everything set up and ready to go before combining the A and B sides. Then mix and hold the cup in your hand. Pour as soon as you feel the temperature start to change. Don't wait for it to feel hot. I sometimes do this with three different colors, and I try to get them to gel at the same time. Once they warm up, though, I have to pour, layer, swirl, and pressurize as quickly as I can. When they gel - time's up!

Top Bottom