MISSOURI TRU-QUARTER™

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from seamus7227

seamus7227

I'm taking a break for the night and cutting a new quarter.Its been awhile, so stay tuned. I figure this should take me about an hour and fifteen minutes.

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

Pretty sweet looking. I still haven't figured out how anyone can see good enough to do that fine of detail work. I'm always impressed by your talent.

Last edited:

Haynie

I see you got lazy on this one and did not scroll each individual tree. :biggrin:

That arch is really clean. Do you file after cutting to clean up?

seamus7227

I see you got lazy on this one and did not scroll each individual tree. :biggrin:

That arch is really clean. Do you file after cutting to clean up?

yes as much as i can, sometimes there are areas that are just too difficult to get into with a file.

I thought about the trees, but after looking at it, I really felt like i should remove the dates just below "corps of discovery", its the 1804 & 2004. they seem a bit out of place since there is already a date in the middle top and middle bottom

socdad

Seamus, as always, great work! With varied success I have been inspired to try my hand at several the ideas / techniques I have seen on this site… feather blanks / casting label blanks / cartridge pens / cigar illusion … As much as I am impressed by the tru-quarter blanks NOT EVEN going to try one. WAY to fine detail for me … Although I have an 1883 liberty nickel that would be spectacular!!

Tyranin

Great job. What kind of jig do you use to hold the coins while you grind them down? Do you use sander or grinder and do you do it before or after you cut them out?

gwilki

I watched your video, Seamus. It is really impressive to watch you work. I would like to try to do a Canadian coin or two, since I'm up here in the Great White North and I have a pocket full of them. Would you object to that? If I manage to actually get a pen out of it, I will be sure to say where the inspiration came from. I've already tried to simply thin out a loonie and bend it around a clay clad tube. It failed miserably.

Chrisjan

My apologies... and I don't want to sound ignorant...

Are you taking actual currency coins, sanding them down in thickness, cutting out the backgrounds on a scroll saw and then casting them into a plank to be cut...

I'm new to a lot of stuff on this forum and this thought just baffled my mind...

seamus7227

My apologies... and I don't want to sound ignorant...
Are you taking actual currency coins, sanding them down in thickness, cutting out the backgrounds on a scroll saw and then casting them into a plank to be cut...
I'm new to a lot of stuff on this forum and this thought just baffled my mind...

the only ignorant question is the one not asked! The process that i have developed is quite lengthy but basically the coin is cut using a scroll saw, rolled and cast around a pen tube. Then the blank is turned on the lathe between bushings or centers and assembled.

Top Bottom