Mini tool question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yorkie

I'm looking to get a micro or mini tablesaw chopsaw or bandsaw, maybe a Proxxon or similar.

Does anyone have experience with a mini saw for cutting pen blanks? Do they have enough power? Are the blades hard to find and do they last?

Thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I own the Proxxon. I use it for cutting blanks at 90 degrees and sometimes, brass tubes.etc (nothing too hard) . I changed the blade to a carbide tipped blade; I never used the original so I can't comment on it. The blade is still available. About 2,000 blanks later, it still does the job, but remember, I am just cutting blanks. Be mindful of its depth of cut - it's only 1" at 90 degrees. It is also a challenge (not a great one) to see where you are cutting from above saw. I like it and would buy again. There are less expensive alternatives (in some cases much less), which many folks state that they enjoy and own for many years.

Not long ago there was a post here about miniature chop saws and several of the posts mentioned a saw Harbor Freight has. It seemed to work for those that posted and it's a lot cheaper than the Proxxon. I'm not saying not to get the Proxxon, I'm just letting you know of an alternative. If you're not going to use it a whole lot you might want to look into it. I don't normally buy from Harbor Freight but at $35.00 and a 20% off coupon you can't go wrong. If it wears out I'll throw it away and get a new one but several of the posters did say they had the HF one for several years without any trouble. I think this is the one they were writing about.
DRILL MASTER
2 In. Mini Bench Top Cut-Off Saw

(354)Write a Review
Make precise cuts in soft metals, wood and plastic with this cut off saw

Top Bottom