Mini Mill mod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Yeah I know...metal lathe forum, but most of you that have metal lathes have a mill and those who don't, TRUST ME, YOU WILL!:biggrin:

You know what a PITA it is to move the fine feed knob when you have it engaged, well I got tired of it and had some free time this morning and decided to make a handle for it. I don't know if I saw it somewhere or just thought of it myself but this is what I came up with....
attachment.php

Some 1/4"x3/4" alum. flat bar, some 1/2" round brass and a few screws.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Anyway, I just tried it and it works like a champ so I thought I'd share it with you.:biggrin:

Attachments

• mill crank 002.jpg
    mill crank 002.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,287
  • mill crank 003.jpg
    mill crank 003.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,072
  • mill crank 005.jpg
    mill crank 005.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,231
  • mill crank 006.jpg
    mill crank 006.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluwolf

Yeah I know...metal lathe forum, but most of you that have metal lathes have a mill and those who don't, TRUST ME, YOU WILL!:biggrin:

I think the metal lathe forum is the perfect place for mills and their mods. And you're right about the above statement. I didn't last 3 months with a lathe before I just had to have a mill.

Very nice job on the handle, but we'd expect no less from you. How are you enjoying your new Southbend?

Mike

rherrell

How are you enjoying your new Southbend?

I'm LOVIN' it!:biggrin: So smoothe and QUIET, I can actually hear my music now. Actually that's a lie, if I'm workin' the musics CRANKIN'....Long live rock and roll!:wink: (as Rush plays in the background, the group, not the fat man, although I listen to him too!)

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

This could be a great mod for the tool post adjustment on the 9x20. Like your mill the silly thing has that douple post turn knob which is a real PITA. Thanks for a future project idea Rick.

MattTheHat

I'll be derned if that ain't right sharp! If you wanted it really pretty you could use brass for the cross bar bit.

I might make one of those to fit my 5C chuck. It takes about 30 turns to chuck something up in it!

-Matt

Top Bottom