Mini Metal Lathe Recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russ Hewitt

I am thinking of adding a metal lathe to my shop to make bands and metal sections. I have already spent an ungodly amount of money to get to this point, so I am looking for bargain buys. Thanks all!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

I am thinking of adding a metal lathe to my shop to make bands and metal sections. I have already spent an ungodly amount of money to get to this point, so I am looking for bargain buys. Thanks all!!
I would recommend not buying the least expensive one you can find. I did, and a few years later spent 3x as much for one that lives up to my expectations.

Penultimate

I have a Sieg 7x12 and it works fine for what I make. However, I've watched the price about double in past couple years due to tariffs, material cost increases, supply chain issues etc. I don't think they are worth it. Fit and finish don't seem any better. Save up for a Precision Matthews style or an old South Bend.

scarfmeister

Russ, you say you have a shop. What equipment do you already have? Also, what do you plan to use a 'metal lathe' for?
Are you thinking of buying a new lathe or used?

Looking for a used lathe can be a real minefield unless you or a friend can determine the condition of the equipment. As you may know, the purchase of a lathe ( or mill) is the least expensive part of getting into the metal turning hobby. The tools required to use the lathe can get expensive, so be on the lookout for a used lathe in good condx. with tools thrown-in.

I'm not trying to discourage your idea, since I was there at one time too, but just trying to shed some wisdom. As they say; "A word to the wise is sufficient" :)

ps; I'm a self taught hobbyist not a professional machinist.

Good luck with your decision.
Tom

rherrell

Just remember this, whatever you spend on the lathe you'll need to spend almost that much on tooling. It's one of those "hidden" costs that most folks don't think of.

I'm partial to Precision-Matthews machines but their smallest machine is a 10x20... https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1022v-pm-1030v/

They have the best customer service I have ever seen and when you are new to lathes that is a BIG plus. They're located in Pittsburgh, PA and the owner Matt is always available for any questions you might have. He'll spend as much time as it takes with you on the phone to troubleshoot any problems you have.

TDahl

I also went with the Little Machine Shop High Torque. I have been very satisfied. There are many You Tubes covering setup and maintenance for that model which is very useful if you are not familiar with metal lathes. I have also had positive experiences with their customer service.

Russ Hewitt

Russ, you say you have a shop. What equipment do you already have? Also, what do you plan to use a 'metal lathe' for?
Are you thinking of buying a new lathe or used?

Looking for a used lathe can be a real minefield unless you or a friend can determine the condition of the equipment. As you may know, the purchase of a lathe ( or mill) is the least expensive part of getting into the metal turning hobby. The tools required to use the lathe can get expensive, so be on the lookout for a used lathe in good condx. with tools thrown-in.

I'm not trying to discourage your idea, since I was there at one time too, but just trying to shed some wisdom. As they say; "A word to the wise is sufficient" :)

ps; I'm a self taught hobbyist not a professional machinist.

Good luck with your decision.
Tom
Tom;

I have very little in the way of metal working tools except files and other hand tools. I want to do only the most basic operations. I would like to turn sections out of brass or aluminum, and maybe turn an all metal pen for kicks. I am also thinking of using an acrylic or metal inner liner for some of the more difficult wood species. That would allow precise dimensions to fit in the drilled wood blank. I really prefer wood over acrylic.

I have been reading and YouTubing on basic lathe operations. Do all of the mini lathes allow for off center tail stock alignment for cutting tapers? I never seem to see that feature in the ads, and that is something that I need to a section, especially for a rollerball.

PatrickR

I have been reading and YouTubing on basic lathe operations. Do all of the mini lathes allow for off center tail stock alignment for cutting tapers? I never seem to see that feature in the ads, and that is something that I need to a section, especially for a rollerball.
Russ, I think that most lathes have an adjustable tail stock. The biggest problem I had with my first lathe (sieg style) was how hard it was to adjust and that it would never stay there for long. Something to consider/research before purchase. Cutting long tapers, fair curves and contours will take some planning and extra time on a metal lathe.

scarfmeister

Russ, I think that most lathes have an adjustable tail stock. The biggest problem I had with my first lathe (sieg style) was how hard it was to adjust and that it would never stay there for long. Something to consider/research before purchase. Cutting long tapers, fair curves and contours will take some planning and extra time on a metal lathe.
The adjustable tail stock on my lathe is used to align the tail stock to the headstock centerline. You can use the cross slide to do short tapers. Longer tapers need an accessory,either bought or home made.
Tom

scarfmeister

The adjustable tail stock on my lathe is used to align the tail stock to the headstock centerline. You can use the cross slide to do short tapers. Longer tapers need an accessory,either bought or home made.
Tom
Russ,
I might add, for clarification, my lathe is a 12x36 Craftsman Commercial. Tom

Top Bottom