mini metal lathe question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

Those of you that have a mini lathe, what is the spindle size and tpi? I assume it is 1" x 8 tpi, but I am not finding the spec on the websites.

Thanks,

Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

Most mini metal lathes do not have a threaded spindle. They have a 'face plate' that the chuck mounts on.

That was one the possibilities I was thinking. So here is another question: since it is attached by a faceplate, how does one use a collet chuck for turning kitless?

More4dan

One big advantage of most metal lathes is the larger bore size of the head spindle. Even the mini 7x10/12/14/16 have a MT3 taper in the spindle. This lets you pass up to 20mm (0.787") material into the headstock. This helps when drilling, you can grip the material next the end you're drilling for better alignment and support. I have the ER32 faceplate mentioned above with a full set of metric dies and I rarely use the chuck anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
1587677377750.png

More4dan

I do like the way you think! I've been looking for a faceplate for my lathe with a 1" 8tpi mounting point for my wood chuck. I just need a piece of scrap steel and relearn how to use my change gears.

You could even put it an independent 4 jaw and you could take out any run out in your wood chuck.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Bryguy

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mal, Danny, PSI has something similar to this one here...https://www.pennstateind.com/store/spindle-adapters.html

Mine was made from aluminum by some friends when I lived in Florida. It served my purpose, which I don't even recall what it was. But I still have it! 😁

More4dan

Ron, Not sure how you do that. Can you post a picture? I've been turning to round on my wood lathe and then going over to my metal lathe and collets to finish.

I just use a straight sided dead center mounted in the Er32 Chuck in my metal lathe to also turn the blank round between centers. I get a nice uniform cylinder for mounting and drilling.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom