Mini lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bycker

Hi.
New in this new world.
I am now searching for one mini lathe, I don't want nothing fancy, just one small machine with good quality and nothing more, so I do not know brands or price.
Some help please.
Thanks friend's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Manny

Hey Bycker

I started off with a horrible harbor freight sheet metal frame monster and had a horrible experience with it. I ended up turning it into a buffing station. I then moved onto a shop smith which I thought was amazing due to its wide range of capability. But when I started getting serious turning pens I saved up and purchased a Jet 1221VS. I have had and actively used the Jet for the last 12 years now.

I get you want to start small. I really do. Just make sure the lathe that you buy has the options you are going to need based on what you are going to turn.

Changing your gears is inevitable with the smaller lathes but with a Variable speed nob you get much more precision and it saves a ton of time.

Some other things to look for are
Rotating headstock for larger bowl turning.
Bed length for spindles and bats.
Spindle diameter TPI and taper (not all lathes come with standard sizes)
Lowest and highest RPM range. CA coating and some drilling requires slow slow slow
Replacement part availability

I am sure some of the guys here have been turning since before I was born (48) They might have a recommendation or 2. For me the Jet fit the bill. I look at the Nova's and the Lagunas and even the bigger powermatics and the like with wishful thinking. But honestly for pens medium sized bowls , pepper mill and tool handles and such. My little Jet does me just fine.

Good luck
Manny

PenPal

I buy bare lathes and fit variable speed controllers to three phase motors cheapest and best way IMHO. VL100 then VL150 Vicmarc,fantastic made in Queensland.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0006.jpg
    DSCF0006.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 411
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

robutacion

Hi.
New in this new world.
I am now searching for one mini lathe, I don't want nothing fancy, just one small machine with good quality and nothing more, so I do not know brands or price.
Some help please.
Thanks friend's

Welcome Raimundo from the land of the kangaroos, I'm Portuguese born and I believe this is the first time I ever saw a Portuguese person to join to IAP so congrats.

I wouldn't have a clue where in Portugal you can buy a mini lathe but I would believe that some of the larger woodworking brands be represented over there such as Jet, Carbatec and others.

I suggest you search for woodworking companies in Portugal, there has to be someone selling this type of equipment, buying online wouldn't be viable due to the transport/freight costs of such a heavy product, nevertheless, I wish you the best of luck, IAP is the ideal place to learn the art of penturning/making, many folks here are masters of this craft so you will be in good hands.

Cheers
George

magpens

Thanks for these pictures, Peter ....... A thing of beauty is a joy forever !!!

Local tool store used to carry VicMarc and I loved to look at them. . But they don't import them anymore and I miss them ... perhaps a different tool store has them still

I buy bare lathes and fit variable speed controllers to three phase motors cheapest and best way IMHO. VL100 then VL150 Vicmarc,fantastic made in Queensland.

Peter.

bmachin

Just to clarify things here. Are you looking for a metal lathe or a wood lathe?

Only asking since the question is posted in the metal lathes forum.

Bill

Bycker

HI,
not easy find some products in Portugal, if I want cactus juice or similar, I don't have, need to import, if I want alumilite... the same... Must import... Is funny that idea but I believe "ROBUTACION" know about this...
Not easy, I have some lathes in Portugal usually Chinese crap... If I want something bether I need import...
I fond these one in Portugal brand new... Chinese...

Attachments

• IMG_20190209_193735.jpg
    IMG_20190209_193735.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

magpens

Not all Chinese stuff is crap. . I have been making pens with a Chinese metal-working lathe for over 10 years and it is ... well ... OK.

How about going to Spain to buy a lathe ? . Or is the situation the same there ?

Maybe take a cruise to the UK and bring back a lathe. . That could be impractical, I suppose.

What is your electricity supply in Portugal ...115 volt or 220 volt ?

Last edited:

Bycker

Hi, magpens,
Do you see the Pic?
Well... I see the lathe in the store, the bearing are bit loose, and the centers are not aligned.
And yes, maybe in few days I go to England to buy one, and yes in Spain is possibul find something little bether, I already find one store in Sevilha, and there I see 2 Grizzly models, the price is bit expensive around 1.350€ and other one near to 1800€... But the original idea is buy used one or other brand not so expensive.

magpens

Yes, I saw the pic of the Proxxon lathe. . I would not recommend buying that one. . It is not good enough for making pens or anything that requires accuracy.

You say that you found a store in Seville with 2 Grizzly models. . Grizzly in Nth America is a reasonable machine, I think. . But it is definitely at the low end of quality. . In my opinion, you should try to get a Nova lathe or a Jet lathe or a Laguna lathe or something similar to them, possibly with a different name. . Rikon is another very good lathe. . There must be some brand names in Europe that I am not familiar with that would be just as good. . It seems to me that there should be some good brands sold in Portugal if you know where to look for them. . Definitely keep your eyes open for a used lathe ... that would be the best way to get quality at a lower price.

robutacion

HI,
not easy find some products in Portugal, if I want cactus juice or similar, I don't have, need to import, if I want alumilite... the same... Must import... Is funny that idea but I believe "ROBUTACION" know about this...
Not easy, I have some lathes in Portugal usually Chinese crap... If I want something bether I need import...
I fond these one in Portugal brand new... Chinese...

Portugal 30 odd years ago was very different than today, what is available there and its origin is unknown to me but I believe the Chinese products would be represented in Portugal, importing stuff our days is almost a normal and daily event, I'm in Australia and I import a lot of stuff from many countries around the world, if you have internet and a credit card or Paypal account, you can buy almost anything you want, now, what will you be allowed to get in by Customs and the fees they may charge, that may make the import far too expensive, I have no idea how that system works down there.

I believe you are after a wood lathe and not a metal lathe, right...?

Someone asked what voltage is used in Portugal and as far as I remember the voltage is 240V.

Cheers
George

magpens

Hi Raimundo ....
Congratulations on buying your new lathe !!
Please tell us more about it when you get the chance.
We will all be interested in seeing pictures too, if you can do that.

Also, pictures of what you make with your new lathe, please !! :)

Top Bottom