mini-chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Consider how a small ornamental birdhouse is turned.
I'm talking about those little 3 or 4 inch long, 1.5 inch diameter little ornaments...

Once you hollow out the body, you have to re-mount it to finish up the bottom. Likewise, when you cut the roof, you have to turn it around to finish up the 'tip top'. if you using finials in these places, you still have to mount the pieces to clean them up... I've been using jam chucks, but am getting tired of the cut/fit/cut/fit/cut/fit method, and then having to do it all over again for the next piece!

I am looking hard at this mini-chuck at PENN STATE:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCM18X.html

Does anyone have/use one of these? Know anyone that does? Know of a good alternative?

The site has reviews and the opinions generally are good. (except for the tommy bars, seems those are not very robust)

I don't need a lot of pressure on these pieces, especially since I envision using it in the expansion mode. I just need to get a bit of a turn and finish on my pieces.

Your comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
( see you after the "change"... lol )

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

It is nice to have a chuck that allows you to get close to your work.
I have snapped tommy bars on a mandrel chuck, so I am not a fan of thin ones.
Nova and others make similar. If you don't already have another brand, I don't think you can go very wrong. I should add that I never had the need to use a chuck in "expansion" mode and therefore, I can't be much help. Have fun conducting the research.

dogcatcher

My 2 cents, the jaws are made for chucks for metal lathes, these crush wood. You mentioned bird houses, I would turn them so that I leave a 1/2" tenon on one end about 1 to 2 inches long and then use my collet chuck to hold them, part off the tenon when finished. Or use a jam chuck method.

Charlie_W

Consider how a small ornamental birdhouse is turned.
I'm talking about those little 3 or 4 inch long, 1.5 inch diameter little ornaments...

Once you hollow out the body, you have to re-mount it to finish up the bottom. Likewise, when you cut the roof, you have to turn it around to finish up the 'tip top'. if you using finials in these places, you still have to mount the pieces to clean them up... I've been using jam chucks, but am getting tired of the cut/fit/cut/fit/cut/fit method, and then having to do it all over again for the next piece!

I am looking hard at this mini-chuck at PENN STATE:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCM18X.html

Does anyone have/use one of these? Know anyone that does? Know of a good alternative?

The site has reviews and the opinions generally are good. (except for the tommy bars, seems those are not very robust)

I don't need a lot of pressure on these pieces, especially since I envision using it in the expansion mode. I just need to get a bit of a turn and finish on my pieces.

Your comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
( see you after the "change"... lol )

Michael, I have one but have only used it in compression mode....not expansion. It is handy for small pieces. I think sharp tools and light cuts would be key.

MDWine

Sorry I haven't replied, I got a bit turned around in the new software.
Thanks for the replies. I think I might give this little 'feller a try when the funds present themselves.
I'll let you know how things "turn" out!

Jolly Red

I have had one of the PSI mini chucks for several years. I don't use it a lot, but it comes in handy for small projects. Mine has the tommy bars, and I can't imagine putting enough pressure on them to cause them to break. These small projects just don't need that kind of pressure. If one did or bend badly enough to need replacement, i would just find a steel rod the same diameter and use it. If necessary, a bolt with a smooth shank could be used.

Top Bottom