Milling centerbands...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gothycdesigns

Ok. I have turn my on own centerbands from wood and resing and polymer clays. So now I'm looking to expand my knowledge and have thought about milling my own metal centerbands. Has anyone done this and what materials are best? Aluminum or steel or brass. I want to make something with a futuristic look. I'm also thinking of some
PMC (Presious Metal Clay) silver with celtic themes.

Is there any articles or site I can look to or anyone in particular I should try to contact that is a member on this forum board>

Thanks,
Ray
~Gothyc Designs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck Key

Here is an example:

1. Turned and drilled the center band to size.
2. Mounted the CB on a mandrel and used a parting tool to cut a goove in the center band.
3. Turned a Mesquite insert and drilled a hole to fit the groove in the CB.
4. Cut the Mesquiet center insert in half and glued it in the groove in the aluminum center band.

5. Trimed the insert to fit the OD of the CB.

20061119132831_griz.jpg
<br />

Chuckie

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The euro finial is easily reshaped and can be used for an insert for a custom wood finial to match or compliment the pen.
NO need to buy the little screws that are a pain.

gothycdesigns

When turning your own metal CB as shown for example, Do you use a different turning tool, say and older one. As too keep your good tools for the real woodturning? There were some pics I saw and think it was in the penmakersguild. Ithink the guys name was picken, I could be wrong, but anyways. There were some pretty cool, but looked simple enough, CB and Clips. All which looked custom and definitely not stock store bought. I would love to learn more of this as I further advance my knowledge for turning pens.

Anymore help greatly appreciated.

Ray
Gothyc Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom