Milk Painted Calabash Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

This was my attempt at turning a calabash bowl (I'm don't think I have the proportions quite right). Anyways, I liked the results I got with milk paint on the last bowl I did, so I wanted to keep experimenting with it. On the inside of this bowl I used a base coat of black, followed by a coat of red which was distressed with sand paper. I reversed that on the outside of the bowl (base coat of red, followed by a coat of black which was distressed with sand paper). I then put on three coats of wipe on poly and finished it with a coat of paste wax. It got a little more shiny than I wanted, but I'm still happy with it. What do you think? I know some feel that painting a turned bowl is sacrilegious. My feelings won't be hurt if you're not a fan of this particular piece. I've got thick skin so let's hear what you think; good, bad, or otherwise.

IMG_0161 (1024x769).jpgIMG_0159 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0160 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0162 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0163 (1024x768).jpgIMG_0166 (1024x767).jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm a big fan of these "Stone Age" looking bowls. I like the really THICK walls. :wink: Almost looks like you just scooped out the center with a spoon. Did you do these yourself? :biggrin:

lyonsacc

That looks really good Derek. I like the shape and size.

A few questions for you:
How did you apply the wipe on poly?
When you mix milk with your paint, do you use old milk? (I have a problem with it curdling)

lhowell

These look great! Painted bowls are great as long as it wasn't something like spalted maple you covered up in the process! I've recently had to step back into furniture making and the whole fad is that chalk paint with distressed waxed finishes....it is an ARTFORM to get that to look natural so kudos to you on the distressed milk paint!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Looks Great! I like it! Before clicking to see it larger, it reminded me of Japanese bowls.

Your basic technique in principle is like the Japanese, but since you have thick skin, I will tell it like it is: they require you to spend at least 10 years as an apprentice before you get to make your own. :biggrin: OH, and they use a very special lacquer instead.

stonepecker

Derek,
I like the looks and the paint. Very nice and it shows what else a person can do with a very plain looking piece of wood.
If you get tired of looking at it, my wife says she has a place for it. On the headboard full of M&M's

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm a big fan of these "Stone Age" looking bowls. I like the really THICK walls. :wink: Almost looks like you just scooped out the center with a spoon. Did you do these yourself? :biggrin:

I actually think Derek did a great job. Not quite a spoon, but still a fancy tool for South Dakota!

Well Done Derek :wink:

Attachments

• article-2294356-18B5B134000005DC-6_634x711.jpg
    article-2294356-18B5B134000005DC-6_634x711.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 117

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Looks Great! I like it! Before clicking to see it larger, it reminded me of Japanese bowls.

Your basic technique in principle is like the Japanese, but since you have thick skin, I will tell it like it is: they require you to spend at least 10 years as an apprentice before you get to make your own. :biggrin: OH, and they use a very special lacquer instead.
Urushi?

leehljp

Member Liaison

Urushi?

Urushi - yes. But for foreigners they used the word "lacquer ware." :biggrin:

Finishes was something (the correct wording) that was hard for me to learn over there. Most of it was not in dictionaries. I found some tung oil when I was in Tokyo in the first few years there. (That was because it had "Tung Oil" on the can written in English.) Several years later I couldn't find any. Looked in THICK dictionaries, asked friends about Tung Oil. No one knew. No stores had it. About 10 years later, I picked up a glass bottle in the finish section of a store that i had seen numerous times over the years. I took it home to research it. It said in Kanji "China Tree Oil". THAT was tung oil. It had been there all along. I just didn't know the right word to ask. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom