Midwest Penturners Gathering - Who's Ready and Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

Well it's only a few days to the 2019 Midwest Pentuners Gathering just outside of Chicago. Hope everyone is ready. Chicago has planned two very full days with some great demonstrators, vendors, hands-on and socializing.

For those coming the most important thing to bring is your questions and conversations. We will have over 200 registered families and 300 pen makers in the room. The demos start Friday at 11:30 am. We will go as late as everyone wants to stay. Saturday is full also.

This event is setup truly for the advancement of the pen making community. The Chicago team would like to thank the IAP for allowing us this forum to help promote the event. We have long enjoyed the partnership we have and look forward to it getting even stronger as we go forward. We also would like to thank in advance all those who have worked on this is the past - our history is below. And all those currently working on it.

And the door prizes --- someone is going to walk away with a Jet 1015 VS Lathe. And if that is not enough we have numerous sets of carbide tools to give away, a buffing system, a stabilization system with 5 gallons of juice, hundreds of pen blanks from the best names in the casting business. Over $5000 in prizes alone.

Safe travels and I expect everyone to stop by and say "Hi". The Chicago chapter is looking forward to meeting everyone.

The History:
Those who have "been around" long enough will remember Cozee (Greg Cozad) starting the Midwest Penturners Gathering (MPG) about a decade ago in Urbana, Illinois. After four years, Low48 (Rich Coers) continued the tradition in a super-human single-handed presentation for another four years. Then, the Ohio IAP contingent volunteered and the event was moved to Wadsworth, Ohio for the last four years. The event has seen tremendous growth over all these years. From a few hours at a union hall to a three day event in a fantastic hotel. Great demonstrations, vendors, and new activities. Most importantly great friendships, conversations, and sharing of ideas.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I was at the first or second meeting that Cozee put together...not sure which it was, but got to kill two birds with one stone... wife's daughters both live in CU where he held the meeting..... and Granddaughter is in Chicago, but life's in the way for this one, I don't do pens much anymore, mostly bowls and pepper mills, but wish I could be there... would like to meet everyone.

mg_dreyer

I got to say I agree with the meeting everyone comment. I have made more pen making friends at the MPG then anywhere. And I look forward to meeting more this year.

greenacres2

Depending on when i get off work and the traffic...i should be there between 5 and 6:30 on Thursday. Hoping for the early side of that range. Would be glad to meet up for dinner...prefer cheap and unhealthy!! At least one of those...
earl

mg_dreyer

There are many great places with in a few miles (some walking). If you have never tried a Portillos - it is a must. The Woodfield mall is the fifth largest in the country and only a mile away. Trust me if you have not experiences Schaumburg - you will. Great community - and literally hundreds of places to eat. I know there will be a bunch of people there Thursday evening to meet up with. Some of us will be helping vendors and demos setup, but we are available.

You can also register (get your name tags and info) Thursday night so you won't have to deal with a line in the morning. We will try our best to get you through, but this looks to be the largest group of pen makers to assemble.

This is going to be fun ...

greenacres2

Portillo's is definitely cool--great chopped salad, followed by excellent chocolate eclair cake!! Healthy and decadent in the same meal!!
earl

alphageek

Former Moderator
There are many great places with in a few miles (some walking). If you have never tried a Portillos - it is a must.

This is going to be fun ...

LOL.. some of us can't wait until we hit Chicago for Portillos! Denise and I are planning on lunch in Gurnee Portillos on the way down on Thursday!

This is definitely going to be something else! I've never been to a gathering of this size that wasn't work related.

cozee

Plans have changed. Will be driving up after work on Thursday. As for eats, we have our eyes set on Bahama Breeze. We have a Portillo's down here and not too impressed.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'll be there Mid-day Thursday, and SWMBO (who's is coming also, but to site-see) said "Have fun, see you Sunday!"

Chris Labedz

Looking forward to this years event what a line up of demonstrators and vendors. To add to this the number of pen turners and the knowledge that will be there is exciting. Can't wait to meet some friends I haven't seen in awhile and to just BS with new and old friends can't wait to see everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Magicbob

Leaving in the morning, so depending on what kind of trouble I can find to get into, Momma and I should be rolling in early Thursday evening.

low_48

I'm ready. A lot of wood. No pen blanks this year, just short high figured boards that you can size your own. Lots of shorts for Christmas ornaments and bottle stoppers. I'm also bringing a big box of deer antler, a bed extension for a Jet 10-14, and a little bench top Legacy Milling Machine. I'll be selling thin burl slices and thick burl trimmings for worthless wood casting by the pound. The van is going to ride like a Cadillac, using almost as much fuel! Cash and quantity talks!

Attachments

• IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

greenacres2

I did my online check-in last night. Should be able to get out a little earlier than i thought--depending on workload. May even make it before 5!!
earl

JohnU

Just arrived and hanging out in the lobby with friends. Will be getting in the main room to start setting up as soon as they are done in there. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Also, at the moment there is a large group in the meeting room so the parking spots are a bit limited but will be clearing out in a couple hours. You may have to park at a neighbor hotel or restaurant in the immediate area until 5pm tonight when it clears out.

Last edited:

studioseven

Wife and I arrived an hour ago. Drove up from Wisconsin using all back roads. Took longer but a little more scenic. Looked up Portillo menu. Now I am hungry.

Seven

Scollins

Can someone post some pictures of people with names for those of us who can't enjoy this event? Will make us feel like we are there in spirit.

Woodnick43

Should be there 11-1130 Friday. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. Excited for some of the demos as this old dog is needing some new tricks!!!

I would like to give a huge shout out to Cozee for meeting Greg. I was honored to attend 2 years of the early events and help him with both events. I made friends that I communicate with this day. There were many others I met but this 76 year old cannot remember their names. I live in Lakewood WA just south of Seattle.
Those who are able to attend, have a wonderful time and write down those who you meet so you can keep in contact with.
Regards
Don Nicholas
And thanks Greg for the opportunity

cozee

Should be there 11-1130 Friday. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. Excited for some of the demos as this old dog is needing some new tricks!!!

I would like to give a huge shout out to Cozee for meeting Greg. I was honored to attend 2 years of the early events and help him with both events. I made friends that I communicate with this day. There were many others I met but this 76 year old cannot remember their names. I live in Lakewood WA just south of Seattle.

Those who are able to attend, have a wonderful time and write down those who you meet so you can keep in contact with.

Regards

Don Nicholas

And thanks Greg for the opportunity

Good to see you posting Don! Lots of memories from the "early years"!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

JohnU

Currently.... Friday evening at the MPG as I type....Father Dick Sing" and his presentation packed the house! Having a great time! Thank you Dick Sing for sharing and hanging out with us! Truly a great guy!

Attachments

• EF9959B4-47FE-4779-A995-E93266124483.jpg
    EF9959B4-47FE-4779-A995-E93266124483.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 132
  • D0AEC0C5-230B-4CAB-954F-04C3409E555B.jpg
    D0AEC0C5-230B-4CAB-954F-04C3409E555B.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 20EBAF53-3A62-41D3-9C46-729EEED35B0E.jpg
    20EBAF53-3A62-41D3-9C46-729EEED35B0E.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 154

greenacres2

It was, indeed a great experience!! It was great to put faces with screen names, and there are some folks that i'm hoping to stay in touch with. The encouragement that came from different people in so many different forums is as valuable as the great demonstrations!!

Thanks to all who made it possible!!
earl

Top Bottom