Midwest Penturners Gathering - 2019 Chicago - Save The Date

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mg_dreyer

<strong><h2>2019 Midwest Penturners Gathering - Chicago - April 26 and 27</h2></strong>
Starting The First Year Of A Rotating Schedule

<strong>Location:</strong>
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Chicago Schaumburg

Over the next few months we will be communicating all the exciting details:
• Registration Details
• The Vendors
• The Demonstrators
• The Prizes
• New Social Activities

<strong>The Venue:</strong>
Traveling with family? The hotel is situated near many popular attractions such as Woodfield Mall (largest in Illinois and one of the largest in the country) and LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Chicago - so bring the whole crew. Look at the pictures below of the main meeting facility and break out room. We have two meeting rooms reserved and plan to follow the symposium strategy of those in Ohio. One main room with vendors and demonstrations and a second room for hands-on activities . This is going to be a lot of fun. And we have some new social events planned.

<strong>The History:</strong>
Those who have "been around" long enough will remember Cozee (Greg Cozad) starting the Midwest Penturners Gathering (MPG) about a decade ago in Urbana, Illinois. After four years, Low48 (Rich Coers) continued the tradition in a super-human single-handed presentation for another four years. Then, the Ohio IAP contingent volunteered and the event was moved to Wadsworth, Ohio for the last four years. The event has seen tremendous growth over all these years. From a few hours at a union hall to a three day event in a fantastic hotel. Great demonstrations, vendors, and new activities. Most importantly great friendships, conversations, and sharing of ideas.

Attachments

• chizs-ballroom-0018-hor-clsc.jpg
    chizs-ballroom-0018-hor-clsc.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 209
  • chizs-meeting-0024-hor-clsc.jpg
    chizs-meeting-0024-hor-clsc.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 192

mg_dreyer

Bob

We appreciate it, but the Chicago team is Ed Brown, John Underhill and myself. And as you know we have been in contact with the Ohio team and will be looking for help from them also.

The rotation city concept will work out nicely.

Thanks
The MPG Team

studioseven

I'm in. Had a great time at this years gathering. Doe anyone know if there will be a discount on hotel rooms?

Seven

mg_dreyer

Yes and we will post the details soon. The room rate is $109 (plus tax) per night and it includes a continental breakfast. We have asked for a block of 30 rooms but can add more if we need.

It is a great rate for Chicago.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Being involved in this venture, I have learned that there is a commitment for a block of rooms. So, if you plan to attend, PLEASE let the hotel know you are coming for the MPG. The rooms are king or two queen, so two guys can easily share a room. With tax, the actual rate will be about $125, so each guy can get a room for $65 per night, including breakfast!!!!

Mark and Donna did a GREAT job---John and I applauded!!

JohnU

Mark is too humble. As Ed said, Mark and Donna have done a GREAT job with this. They have been a driving force behind making this MGP happen. I have learned a lot from the talks with Ed and Mark and feel very honored to be a part of the planning for the next MPG. There are big plans in the works and I can't wait to see everyone there. So again, Great Job Mark and Donna! It's off and moving forward!!!!

Last edited:

rsieracki

Lou Malnotti's is better for deep dish than Giordanos.. and theres one in Schaumburg.

Theres also a Rockler near by. and 2 Woodcraft stores around 25 mins in each direction.

Last edited:

chartle

There was even a discussion about pizza! Which I believe you mentioned. Lol

Giordano's would be worth the trip for me!! I'm flying up in September to catch the Sox v Cubs. And i will be having pizza everyday!!

Wait someone told me middle Ohio has the best pizza. :confused:

But anyway only time in Chicago was when my sons' high school band marched in one of the last South Side St. Patrick's Day Parades.

My wife has always talked about us going back to Chicago and it came up again over the weekend. Told her about this so I guess I'm in. :)

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Lou Malnotti's is better for deep dish than Giordanos.. and theres one in Schaumburg.

Theres also a Rockler near by. and 2 Woodcraft stores around 25 mins in each direction.

Only ever had Giordano's! But a customer told me I should try Pequod's Pizza. Somewhere on the north side. I may try Malnotti's in september, if there is one near my hotel

mg_dreyer

I see the pressure is on for food at the conference. Well, we did negotiate with the hotel and we can bring in food both Friday night and Saturday afternoon. As John, Ed and I work out the details we will be posting them - and yes we see the need for pizza.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Pizza, someone said pizza ??? Does a room come with a pie?? Or maybe a pie with a room. :eek:

Seriously, should be a great weekend! All the plans sound great. Be well.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Pizza, someone said pizza ??? Does a room come with a pie?? Or maybe a pie with a room. :eek:

Seriously, should be a great weekend! All the plans sound great. Be well.

I'm in for some homegrown moonshine and Pie!!!!! Good thing me and mark are sharing a room!!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
As I see it... A fantastic weekend, fantastic friends, fantastic demos, and whatever pizza I get - will also be fantastic!

JohnU

Do we know the starting time on Friday yet? Trying to plot travel time.

The times are still in the planning stage as we work out the demo lineup. We will have more to share as we move along but wanted to get the location and dates out so you guys could start saving the days. I can say it won't be early so to give everyone a chance to get checked in and comfortable and our vendors time to set up.

mg_dreyer

As John mentioned we are still getting the details down, but we understand the logistics of travel and more importantly the excitement. I had the opportunity to hang with Ed this weekend at Turn On! Chicago. We plan to use a lot of our observations of how that was run at a venue about 30 miles from were we will be running the MPG. John, Ed and I have been meeting a lot and will be meeting again at our Chicago IAP local chapter on August 18th. As we finalize details - promise we will get them out.

For those of you that we met at Turn On! Chicago, either during a demo or at the Pens For Troops event, I hope to see you in Chicago again in April. Many people asked to kept informed.

This is going to be fun.

Krub411

That is great! I am glad she is a member of the team. I know that MPG will be a great success with the team of Brown, Underhill, Dreyer and Dreyer (sounds like a Law Firm)

Thanks
Dave

JohnU

I also like ...Donna, Larry and his brother Darrel and his other brother Darrel. (for any of you Bob Newhart fans). You can guess who's who. All I will say is Larry is also a "Worldly Known Demonstrator" and Spokesperson for several products and companies. Bring your Autograph Books! I plan on getting a T-Shirt signed!

I'm very grateful of all of Donna's hard work on this!!!..... and for letting Mark come out and play with Ed and I once in a while. :)

mg_dreyer

Yes. Ed Brown, John Underhill and myself will be available for questions and discussions. The three of us will then be going to the facility for a second look. Expect some more details on IAP in the next week or so.

JohnU

Had a fun day yesterday checking out the Fairfield in Schaumburg after the Chicagoland chapter meeting. Ed, Mark and I were given a nice tour of the place and hung out for a while ironing out the details and making more exciting plans for the gathering in the lounge area right outside the conference room where the 2018 MPG will be held. Here's a quick shot I took with my phone. As plans move forward I can tell you the conference room area is huge and the breakout room is attached for quick access. Not to mention... the chairs are very soft and comfortable to sit on. :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone! Watch for more details as we move forward!

Attachments

• E6BDCD67-7872-4B4F-852E-6B631C4B7076.jpg
    E6BDCD67-7872-4B4F-852E-6B631C4B7076.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 165

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Had a fun day yesterday checking out the Fairfield in Schaumburg after the Chicagoland chapter meeting. Ed, Mark and I were given a nice tour of the place and hung out for a while ironing out the details and making more exciting plans for the gathering in the lounge area right outside the conference room where the 2018 MPG will be held. Here's a quick shot I took with my phone. As plans move forward I can tell you the conference room area is huge and the breakout room is attached for quick access. Not to mention... the chairs are very soft and comfortable to sit on. :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone! Watch for more details as we move forward!

Looks very welcoming to my eye! Chevrons on the seat cushions :bananen_smilies027:

Krub411

will these rooms have a place to take a nap (as you know I need all the beauty sleep I can get) On second thought there won't be time to take a nap with all of the planned activities and mingling that will be done.

Top Bottom