Micro-mesh hint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phixius

So today I was at the River walk close to home and luck struck! So in Chattanooga, TN there is 3m plant close to the river walk. This particular 3m plant is responsible for making the "glue" for post-it notes and a couple other solvents. I was attempting to walk (long story) or get some sort of exercise in. There was a car parking and this gentleman getting out of his car I saw his right rear passenger tire was super low so I shouted at him to get his attention to tell him of said tire. On the side of his satchel read "Micro Mesh©" I made comment about using that very product for my turning. He was very polite and thanked me for telling him of his tire. He then tells me one good deed deserves another. I was like oh? He says you can't tell a soul. (For the record telling a soul is singular so I'm still legit to tell the masses here lol). He states and brags about how micro mesh was originally made for the high end cars Lambos, Bugatti, Porche, etc... To remove swirls in paint. He states you need to use it wet to increase it's cutting properties (which I knew also keeps ca cool). Then he tells me something to my shock and total excitement... To make microesh last 2 to 3x longer clean it in hot water and clean each pad with Dawn dish detergent. It needs to be Dawn for it's viscocity and it's ability to remove oil/and certain chemicals away clear coats and cyanoacrylate (Scientific name for yep you guessed it CA GLUE)
He then states it does NOT dissolve it or break it down it just has away of loosening dust particles that gather together on the pads.... Who would know that I certainly didn't but not I know now and so do you. Cheers and God bless.... Psalm 46:1

Phixius

It's there I'll take a picture...next time over that way
Let me start by saying I have no reason to lie but the company is BASF which apparently is an umbrella company of 3M or one of an other subordinate... I have always had it referred to as 3m for as long as I can remember so my "bad" for referring to it as 3m solely... It is not my intention to "mislead" I apologise for confusion I'm sure none has ever made a mistake. I have called it 3m and everyone I know calls it the 3m plant so maybe at one time it went by 3m only. Again sorry if my post was misleading... Not my intention however the story and the interchange with the gentleman 100% legit use the information don't but I do not like to be implied that I would be dishonest I have nothing to gain. It's not like I'm getting royalties or any thing I'm Medically Disabled and don't work for any company... So take it forget lose I do t care but if you feel I'm being dishonest maybe courtesy is the better valor and PM someone.

"BASF produces a wide range of chemicals such as solvents, amines, resins, glues, electronic-grade chemicals, industrial gases, basic petrochemicals, and inorganic chemicals."

32 Lost Mound Dr, Chattanooga, TN 37406

Attachments

• 2016-04-14.jpg
    2016-04-14.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Phixius

Do you work for 3m or something Fred that you would actually look up and see if there was factory where he said it was? Kinda unfriendly to say the least if not.
I appreciate that, as that was one the most rude things and certainly not something I would EVER do. In an open forum at that, I would expect this kind of garbage on Facebook but not here when knowledge is to help... with NOTHING to gain

larryc

So today I was at the River walk close to home and luck struck! So in Chattanooga, TN there is 3m plant close to the river walk. This particular 3m plant is responsible for making the "glue" for post-it notes and a couple other solvents. I was attempting to walk (long story) or get some sort of exercise in. There was a car parking and this gentleman getting out of his car I saw his right rear passenger tire was super low so I shouted at him to get his attention to tell him of said tire. On the side of his satchel read "Micro Mesh©" I made comment about using that very product for my turning. He was very polite and thanked me for telling him of his tire. He then tells me one good deed deserves another. I was like oh? He says you can't tell a soul. (For the record telling a soul is singular so I'm still legit to tell the masses here lol). He states and brags about how micro mesh was originally made for the high end cars Lambos, Bugatti, Porche, etc... To remove swirls in paint. He states you need to use it wet to increase it's cutting properties (which I knew also keeps ca cool). Then he tells me something to my shock and total excitement... To make microesh last 2 to 3x longer clean it in hot water and clean each pad with Dawn dish detergent. It needs to be Dawn for it's viscocity and it's ability to remove oil/and certain chemicals away clear coats and cyanoacrylate (Scientific name for yep you guessed it CA GLUE)
He then states it does NOT dissolve it or break it down it just has away of loosening dust particles that gather together on the pads.... Who would know that I certainly didn't but not I know now and so do you. Cheers and God bless.... Psalm 46:1
Thanks for the info.

Fred Bruche

I appreciate that, as that was one the most rude things and certainly not something I would EVER do. In an open forum at that, I would expect this kind of garbage on Facebook but not here when knowledge is to help... with NOTHING to gain

Alright, my comment was kinda rude and I apologize if it offended you.
I want to mention that I haven't met that gentleman from Tennessee yet I have used that detergent on micromesh pads trick for several years based on information shared by several on this forum.

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for sharing. I've read here that it's best to wash the pads in Dawn. I also put a few drops of Dawn in the bowl of water I dip the pads in when I'm sanding.

farmer

Do professional wood workers use CA as a finish and do they use micro mesh ?

carolc

Thanks for the tip. It was news to me. Dawn has many uses beyond just dish washing.

The earlier rude comments are what keeps me from posting and asking questions. I am a newbie. No one needs a slap in the face, ever.
I am here to learn and I am very grateful that Phixius is here to share his knowledge. Thanks Phixius!

TonyL

Thanks for the tip. It was news to me. Dawn has many uses beyond just dish washing.

The earlier rude comments are what keeps me from posting and asking questions. I am a newbie. No one needs a slap in the face, ever.
I am here to learn and I am very grateful that Phixius is here to share his knowledge. Thanks Phixius!

Others have privately informed me of the same sentiments. The forum loses because:
  • It is not representative of all members
  • Beginners provide a fresh perspective and come-up with ideas that more experienced folks may not have thought of or shared
  • We are deprived from viewing your photos, designs, etc.
  • It belies the spirit of the forum as to what the founders set-out to achieve - the amiable sharing of information
  • Without new participants eventually the forum will "die"

- there's more , but I got to get back to work.

FGarbrecht

Please don't be reluctant to post and ask questions because of a bad experience. Some of us are crusty old opinionated farts, but honestly, this is (as internet forums go) a remarkably friendly and helpful place. I've learned most of what I know about pen turning thanks to the generosity of a lot of people here who have gone out of their way to provide help. I think many of us get a bit snippy from time to time, but I'm sure I speak for many members that we want to welcome you here and for you to feel comfortable asking questions and contributing to the discussion.

Woodchipper

Please don't be reluctant to post and ask questions because of a bad experience. Some of us are crusty old opinionated farts, but honestly, this is (as internet forums go) a remarkably friendly and helpful place. I've learned most of what I know about pen turning thanks to the generosity of a lot of people here who have gone out of their way to provide help. I think many of us get a bit snippy from time to time, but I'm sure I speak for many members that we want to welcome you here and for you to feel comfortable asking questions and contributing to the discussion.
Sort of like grumpy old men?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Fred must be an INTP (Like me). 😅 INTPs have no interest in insulting anyone, their questions are just straight forward without any emotions intended! Classic INTP personality: Sheldon Cooper.

Two of my adult daughters sent me some INTP memes (today) that dealt with that issue. Here is one:
INTP Communication Skills:
"It is truly amazing at how good us INTPs are at saying one thing, and someone else getting something entirely different from what we meant by what we said. And if that isn't bad enough, most of the time they're totally offended by what we've said when we weren't trying offensive at all
Like, I don't even understand how this happens.
Someone enlighten me.
" Now, doesn't that sound like Sheldon Cooper?
. . . and the INTP leads out in his/her thinking with Accuracy, a thinking-decision making process, almost like Data on StarTrek TNG.

I am a minister and I have to fight this "communication skill" problem every time I speak! And LOML lets me know too! (I do listen to her.)

My oldest daughter is an INTP also, and we get along great while the other two get insulted when we don't notice the emotion in a situation. ;)

Phixius

Fred must be an INTP (Like me). 😅 INTPs have no interest in insulting anyone, their questions are just straight forward without any emotions intended! Classic INTP personality: Sheldon Cooper.

Two of my adult daughters sent me some INTP memes (today) that dealt with that issue. Here is one:
INTP Communication Skills:
"It is truly amazing at how good us INTPs are at saying one thing, and someone else getting something entirely different from what we meant by what we said. And if that isn't bad enough, most of the time they're totally offended by what we've said when we weren't trying offensive at all
Like, I don't even understand how this happens.
Someone enlighten me.
" Now, doesn't that sound like Sheldon Cooper?
. . . and the INTP leads out in his/her thinking with Accuracy, a thinking-decision making process, almost like Data on StarTrek TNG.

I am a minister and I have to fight this "communication skill" problem every time I speak! And LOML lets me know too! (I do listen to her.)

My oldest daughter is an INTP also, and we get along great while the other two get insulted when we don't notice the emotion in a situation. ;)
I understand but does t explain to even lookup question ones post. I'm new as well and obviously haven't read the enormous amount of post and comments. If you DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY, SAY NOTHING... I am not one to have thin skin fighting in the military and in the Gulf kinda prevents it. But being snarky or looking up and posting negative thoughts or words is counter intuitive and not NECESSARY AT ALL..

KenB259

I have always cleaned my micro mesh with dawn dish soap and a toothbrush. Not because that's what you're supposed to use but because dawn is what my wife prefers. I always wondered why my micro mesh seems to not wear out, now I know. As a side note, I program lasers for a living and the laser operators spray dawn dish soap on aluminum plate before they start cutting it. It reduces slag and makes for an easier clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Aces-High

There are those of us that will call out people who are purposefully being rude or unknowingly being rude. Please keep posting. Remember, everyone has different personalities. What is acceptable in some circles is unaxceptable in others. People who are truly mean will be dealt with by admins. Don't be put off by people who are snarky...

Grampy

I tried the Dawn technique, seems to have restored the MM pads, looks anyway. Used 'em last night, worked fine...
Thanx again for Sharing the tip.

henry1164

Just received my "Dr. Kirk's" and it worked beyond my expectations on acrylic. I did sand thru with 2000 grit vs. the 600 grit per instructions with the product. And, the directions say use "a small amount - a little goes a long way - this is true. And, the price is right!

Willee

I really do not know what you mean by "RUDE Coments"
The guy just said he googled "3M PLANT" in Tennessee and got no info.
Dont he have the right to google for information?
Is that odd or something?
He never called anyone a name or implied anything other than he found no information on the internet about a 3m plant.
People ... we need to stop being so sensitive and offended by everything.

ramaroodle

Sorry to say and beat a dead horse but....unintentionally or not it did come across as rude. There was nothing in that comment that had anything to do with pen making and it appeared he called him a liar. That's the problem with texting. It's easy to misinterpret comments. If we were all sitting in the same room it would probably have been funny. It happens all the time. Let's move on like I have from micro mesh. :cool:

Last edited:

cmiller

Just received my "Dr. Kirk's" and it worked beyond my expectations on acrylic. I did sand thru with 2000 grit vs. the 600 grit per instructions with the product. And, the directions say use "a small amount - a little goes a long way - this is true. And, the price is right!
Hi, I'm thinking of trying this. Wondering if it's a time saver. How many levels of sandpaper do you go through? Could a couple of you please outline your process in detail? Sanding, then CA, then sanding, then Dr.Kirk...
Thanks for your help. I'm getting great results with CA and micromesh, but if it can be better, I'm all in.

henry1164

Hi, I'm thinking of trying this. Wondering if it's a time saver. How many levels of sandpaper do you go through? Could a couple of you please outline your process in detail? Sanding, then CA, then sanding, then Dr.Kirk...
Thanks for your help. I'm getting great results with CA and micromesh, but if it can be better, I'm all in.
For me it was sanding 220 through 2000. No CA glue and then Dr. Kirk. Was definitely a time saver with concentration on sanding to get the smoothest surface when I got up to the 2000 level. Dr. Kirk did the rest!!!

qquake

I recently started using 3M Tri-M-Ite polishing paper. Only six grades vs. Micro Mesh's nine. I use it wet. If anything, I'm getting better results With the 3M.

Attachments

• 046_220-320-400.jpg
    046_220-320-400.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 047_Tri-M-Ite.jpg
    047_Tri-M-Ite.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 152
Top Bottom