Michigan Sales Tax at a local craft show

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Just wondering how Michigan Pen Turners handle Michigan Sales Tax if they only do one or two local craft shows a year ( church type thing). I had a small business and had to collect michigan sales tax then but then have been out of that for over 25 years. I have a possible opportunity to exhibit at a local Church craft show and am wondering how you guys handle this. I'd rather not get a regular Mi. sales tax license and employer id and all that with the attendant reporting needs if I'm only going to do this and maybe one other small show.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pinelumber

sales tax

The best thing too do is contact your accountant. I think you can just add the amount to your income tax next April.

Dennis
Pinelumber :bananen_smilies104::RockOn:

See if this helps...I decided to just get a license, lets me change my mind on the number of shows I can do.

Taxes - Registration FAQs

I want to sell my product at one show in Michigan and I don't have a Michigan sales tax license. Do I need to register?
Yes. If you will be selling your product every year.

No, if you will be doing 2 or less shows a year. Instead file Form 2271, Concessionaire's Sales Tax Return and Payment.

TonyL

I am a CPA, and deal with sales tax often. As the docs above point out, each state has their own registration requirements. If you are not required, the customer is required to remit it as use tax (same as sales tax), but that is between your customer is his/her god, not for you to check. If the show is large enough, they are often attended by sales tax auditors. They are not there to buy crafts, but may buy one to see how the transaction is handled. FWIW, one rather have 5 IRS audits for every sales tax audit. The IRS is "Mother Theresa" compared to the sales tax guys.

Top Bottom