Mica Powders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

I ordered 10 different colors of Mica powder from Coastal Scents so I'm about ready to try my first home made blanks. Just wanted to show a picture of the mica I received so anyone else ready to start out can see what you get. These are the 1 ounce containers.

I guess these are mainly used for making you're own lipstick so the box it arrived in had a bumper sticker that said "Lipstick Addict". My wife looked at me kinda funny. I said yeah dear I'm getting into making and selling my own lipstick...lol.

Gil

Attachments

• Micas.jpg
    Micas.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 230
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cwolfs69

yeah, when i got my first order, i was amszed at how much an ounce was. unless you are commercially they last forever.

Sent from my Galaxi via forerunner

GaTurner83

I just placed my first order with them yesterday.Can't wait for it to come in.They have got some interesting colors.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Question Gil,
Are those colors "glittery"? I have some that are but am looking to get some without the depth, just "flat" colors.
Thanks
WB

PTsideshow

The colors you have appear to be different than what is on their web pages. What are the names of the blues,yellow and reds?

Is one of them canary yellow? They don't seem to be as bright on their site.
:clown:

Gilrock

The colors you have appear to be different than what is on their web pages. What are the names of the blues,yellow and reds?

Yeah I thought they looked brighter in person also.
Here's the colors I ordered:
Very Coral, Cellini Red, Chameleon Violet, Cellini Yellow, Majestic Green, Black, Cerulean, Blue Silver Star, Pearl White, and Snowfall White.

Thanks,
Gil

Gilrock

Question Gil,
Are those colors "glittery"? I have some that are but am looking to get some without the depth, just "flat" colors.
Thanks
WB

They don't really look glittery to me in the bottle but I haven't done a pour yet. I really didn't want much glitteryness either. That Brooks blank on exotics page that's blue/white...that's what I want one to look like....especially since it doesn't appear like those blanks are actually ever for sale.

Gil

Seer

I think what you need for some of the brooks blanks is a tint or dye or even something like testors to give it the dolors you want.

PTsideshow

Yeah I thought they looked brighter in person also.
Here's the colors I ordered:
Very Coral, Cellini Red, Chameleon Violet, Cellini Yellow, Majestic Green, Black, Cerulean, Blue Silver Star, Pearl White, and Snowfall White.

Thanks,
Gil

Thank you for the list it will help me and a whole lot of people in picking the colors. Since they appear brighter in person to you and on my monitor, and probably plenty of others too.

Seer said:
I think what you need for some of the brooks blanks is a tint or dye or even something like testors to give it the dolors you want.

If you have the proper tints/dyes both opaque and transparent for your resins. The no glittery silver and coppers and gold metallic looking material that is added to paint and other coatings. Is called bronzing powder no matter what the color, as silver is aluminum dust( very extremely flammable!!!!!) gold is some alloy of brasses, bronzes, copper is of course copper powder. No all powders whether metal, flour, coal or wood dust is explosive under certain condition and mixes with air.
After I take care of the slush @ my parents house I will dig out the can in the shop and post a photo. Now it is no longer cheap should of bought the quarts when it was offered @ $1.00 a can when the sign supply was getting rid of it :wink:

PTsideshow

WT084.jpg

Here are some mica sheets that are used for heat and electrical insulation for hair dyers etc.
WT085.jpg

Here are to old school (1950's/1960's) aluminum bronzing powders used for mixing silver colored coating back before the every expanding ready mix specialty paints.

BSea

They don't really look glittery to me in the bottle but I haven't done a pour yet. I really didn't want much glitteryness either. That Brooks blank on exotics page that's blue/white...that's what I want one to look like....especially since it doesn't appear like those blanks are actually ever for sale.

Gil
Yeah, we all want our blanks to look like "Brooks Blanks":befuddled:. And if I'm thinking of what blanks you're talking about, I'm pretty sure that's white dye, and not mica powder. And the same with the blue. I think it's called Vintage Blue. I have one of those.

Gilrock

Yeah, we all want our blanks to look like "Brooks Blanks":befuddled:.
Not that confusing...when I start something I aim for the best. And the point was that blank doesn't "glitter"...it looks like solid colors.

Gil

PTsideshow

Some of the Micheal's have them or a set of three colors, will depend on the store size if they carry them or how much they carry for casting. As I found out this week we have two store with in about 10 miles of each other. one is the smallest sized store and one is a larger version.

If you have a hobby lobby, I have been using the 40% off coupons and buying the dyes. they are $2.+ cheaper than with out the coupons. either in the newspaper on Sundays. Or here is the Hobby Lobby coupon page the coupon changes each week. You also can get the resin for 40% off. Hobby Lobby has the opaque and transparent dyes all the colors.
:colors:

Top Bottom