Mica powder article I saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
https://thebluebottletree.com/pearl-ex-color-chart-and-comparison-tool/
So a quick question would going from alumilite clear to white, would there be a difference?

In the article, they are putting the Pearl-X on the surface of clay. This would be similar to back painting blanks.

Alumilite White is opaque. If you mix mica powder in, it won't show.

That isn't entirely correct. It will show but, the color will be altered or lightened.
The color and effect will only show on the surface. There won't be the depth as when using clear medium.

Sylvanite

That isn't entirely correct. It will show but, the color will be altered or lightened.
The color and effect will only show on the surface. There won't be the depth as when using clear medium.

I tried mica powder in Alumilite White once, hoping to add some sparkle to the dyed colors, but in the end, I couldn't tell it was there.

Terredax

Banned
I tried mica powder in Alumilite White once, hoping to add some sparkle to the dyed colors, but in the end, I couldn't tell it was there.

It will show. It requires a higher load ratio, and it doesn't stand out like using it in clear, depending on the color. If you dyed it another color, that too will affect the outcome.

Using Alumilite white, isn't much different than creating an opaque white(or any other opaque color) with PR, and adding Pearl-X.

The sparkle will show, not necessarily the color of the sparkle.

When pearls are added to paint (i.e. auto), there is sparkle but, if the pearl is added to the clear, there is color and sparkle. It has to do with light transmission, refraction, and reflection. A clear medium allows these, where and opaque medium affects them.
Some of the really nice, high end paint jobs, utilize a mid-coat to suspend the pearls. It makes the color really pop, and adds dimension. The same happens with resin.

Top Bottom