Meteorite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Any thoughts on making a pen using meteorite stone? I had a customer ask if it had been done - he is interested in getting one if possible
Thoughts or experiences?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarred

I have not worked with meteorite, but my understanding is that it can be very difficult to work due to high density metallic content. Forging may be successful, turning may be very difficult. Great opportunity, though!

northway

There's a chap on Youtube called Patrick Adair Designs that uses meteorite to make rings, I've watched a lot of his videos and I don't think you could do it with hand tools you'd need a CNC as it's pretty much just iron.

Pierre---

If you are used to work metal, you can do it, it is only hard iron. If you are not, you can maybe turn a dot as a finial.
100_4846.JPG

Joebobber

It depends on the type of material the meteorite is made from. I assume you wanted a metal type. There was a guy who took the shavings from one and cast it in resin and made a pen from it. I think he had a kickstarter campaign and then sold a few on etsy. I'm not sure what the iron content was in his, but i believe any meteorite you used would have the composition listed. I think the higher the nickel content the easier it would be to work with, but don't quote me on that.

Dan Doucet

Any thoughts on making a pen using meteorite stone? I had a customer ask if it had been done - he is interested in getting one if possible
Thoughts or experiences?
I have made pens using meteorite dust. I add the dust to the plastic matrix to make my own blanks. I use rock dust not metal dust, as there are both rock and metal meteorites.

Joebobber

Yeah i would like to try a solid rock one and turn it with a grinder. See how that would look. Plus those are cheaper than the metal ones!

Top Bottom