Metal Lathes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryconn

I am pondering buying a small metal lathe but I started thinking that having a small milling machine would be great as well. My question for the guys that use small metal working tools is what do you think of the combination machines like this one .
Are they worth the money or are you better off getting a lathe and a vertical mill? My uses would be compliment/expand penmaking such as pen parts, tools, etc.
thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

For pen scale stuff look at Taig or Sherline. The best site I have found for small machining with Taig mills is www.cartertools.com/. The good news is that for that kind of money (and a little more) you can have CNC milling, and with further cash infusion, can add a sherline rotary table and get full computer contolled milling for pens. Sherline also has a good website.

Paul in OKC

Depends. Most machine groups will say stay away from the combos. For pen parts it may be fine. It will not be as rigid as two seperate machines. If you are just going to do small pen size stuff, I would be temped to look at a 9x20 lathe and a mini mill or the drill mill(big drill press with the built in x-y table). Should be about the same money for the two as that combo. there is a 3-in-1 group on yahoo.

paparex2

I have the G4015Z they are good machines but not as practical as you would think. The mill
was very limited with the 4" lathe chuck on and now since I upgraded to a larger 4 jaw chuck it's usless. I'm not much of a machinist but the tall toolholder just has to much give when they get under a heavy load. I have not had any problems with it but If I had it to do over I would have bought a dedicated Grizzly lathe then saved and got a mill.
Hope this helps
Rex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom