Metal lathe ????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russ Hewitt

I am getting ready to order n 8X16 lathe. Budget dictates that it be an Asian machine. None of the ads indicate what sized cutter bits to buy. I see 1/4", 3/8" and 5/16". Is there a way to adjust the height of the cutter so that it meets the centerline. It looks like they index on the bottom of the bit, so they would each meet the work at a different height.

Second, I am looking at Amazon as the primary source for all of the add ons and accessories. Is there another source. I prefer to give my business to small shops, even if it costs a little more, within reason.

Last, how about suggestions on machines. I can't spend more than $1500. I know most of them are made in the same Chinese factory, but I'm told that retailers make substantial changes both good and bad. They all look similar, but.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

Second, I am looking at Amazon as the primary source for all of the add ons and accessories. Is there another source. I prefer to give my business to small shops, even if it costs a little more, within reason.

LMS (LittleMachineShop) is my 'goto' for extras but I'm a newbie since my LMS 7350 is only a few months old. The OXA toolholders will take anything from 1/4" to 1/2"

They currently have a 7x14 on sale for $800 ($200 off) if that would be a consideration for you.
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4959&category=1271799306

Mach4

Whatever machine you buy you should get a quick change tool post! Adjustment is super simple - see image

2FF9FA01-5C74-4963-8BA4-FC2E14E313B2.jpeg

TDahl

I would also recommend the Little Machine Shop. They have all the parts and accessories for the lathes they sell, and very good customer service. You will be better off getting your accessories from the same source as your lathe. I would also highly recommend the quick change tool post as well. You will only need to set up each tool holder once. I see you are looking for a 8 x 16 size lathe. If you are willing to go down a size (7 x 16), LMS has a lathe ( the 5100) and tolling packages that should fit your needs at the price range you are looking at. There are also numerous videos on Youtube from Frank Hoose covering the setup and adjustments to these lathes.

randyrls

Russ; About the lathe you want to buy...... The lathe itself is only half of the price. Plan to spend the same amount in bits, calipers, chucks, jacobs chuck, etc. The pieces really add up.

I have a 9x20 Lathe. These small lathes have flaws in the cross slide being not rigid enough. Look up "donut john pitkin". It is tool holder that is solid AND you can make it on the metal lathe. Remember these lathes are meant to cut metal. You can't take a 1/4" cut in any metal with a small lathe, so 1/4" tool bits are large enough. The only advantage of larger bits is that the bit itself is more rigid the bigger it is.

Hope this helps.... Not trying to discourage you, it is a learning curve. Many of the tools and techniques and tools can be used on both wood and metal lathes.

Penultimate

CDCO has good prices and service. cdcotools.com
Shars tool shars.com has some good deals
Victor Machinery victornet.com

You don't have to buy a quick change tool post immediately. You can use various size bits in the tool holder provided. Add shims under the bits to get them to center height. I make mine from keystock or washers. I think the manual would give you the max size bit for the tool holder.

If I had to choose from a quick change tool post or a collet chuck due to budget constraints I'd get the ER collet chuck first. Then an independent four jaw chuck. Then a QCTP. just my 1.5 cents worth.

Good luck have fun

Top Bottom