Metal Lathe Deals?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chief TomaToe

I'm looking to procure a mini lathe this year, and I've been shopping around online. There are many, many options with small variations between them. It is definitely difficult to find the best "value". With the holiday season upon us, I wasn't sure if anyone knows about any good deals coming up on some metal lathes? I'm looking around the 7x10, 7x12, 7x14 size lathes as I will be space limited for the foreseeable future.

I wouldn't limit this to just the lathe either. I realize there's a lot of tooling to buy as well! I'll also take some recommendations if you have them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Ronnie, I recommend you get a lathe with the longest bed length. I have a Micro-lux 7x16 made by Micro-Mark. I don't think they offer the 16" bed these days. I really like the lathe. Although if you plan to turn steel or harder metals, consider the larger lathe such as a 9" or 10" but do avoid the shorter bed length. Should be at least 14" https://www.micromark.com/mini-powertool/machine-tools/metal-working

magpens

I recommend you get a 7x12 at least .... 7x14 preferred. . You may think you can get by with a 7x10 for pens but you will find it limiting.

I also recommend you look at the LittleMachineShop.com offerings ... all good lathes, plus they have a wide selection of necessary/very useful accessories .... and good customer service in my experience. . Make sure the headstock bore is no smaller than MT3, and MT2 for tailstock.

You could go with Grizzly for the lathe, and I THINK the LittleMachineShop accessories would fit ..... but be sure to check that beforehand.

One accessory that I find VERY useful for pens on my 7x14 lathe is this ..... a 4" 4-jaw scroll chuck (NOT the independent jaws). . This chuck gives you a larger throat size so that you can insert 0.85" diameter blanks to a depth of 5" and accurately drill them and square the ends.

Don't try to turn steel on a lathe with only 7" swing as Chuck said above. . I agree with him.

randyrls

Ronnie; Many of the lathes listed are the same lathe, just measured differently. Some are measured with centers installed, some without, some with chuck installed. Be sure to read the fine print. Most of these lathes are made in the same factory, the only difference is the paint color. One thing to check is the specs of the lathe. Some are higher quality (tighter specs), some are lower.

bmachin

Ronnie, I recommend you get a lathe with the longest bed length. I have a Micro-lux 7x16 made by Micro-Mark. I don't think they offer the 16" bed these days. I really like the lathe. Although if you plan to turn steel or harder metals, consider the larger lathe such as a 9" or 10" but do avoid the shorter bed length. Should be at least 14" https://www.micromark.com/mini-powertool/machine-tools/metal-working

Micromark still offers their 16" lathe here:

I"ve had this model for several years as well and was very happy with it up until I upgraded to a much larger lathe.

Check out this recent YouTube video on the Blondihacks channel for a good rundown on choosing an asian built lathe. While it is mostly about larger (>7 inch) lathes, there is a discussion on the mini's at the end. Quinn also discusses tooling costs. Well worth watching if you're in the market.

Bill

Dieseldoc

The purchase of the lathe is a good addition to the shop. I use my metal lathe 9x20 offen in the construction of custom modify pens.
As you use it more there will be accessory that you want to add, like the quick change tool holder, boring bars, tap and die holders for example. Like Mal said , Little Machine shop has a very good customer suport system and can help with question you might have. I would suggest to talk to them before making a purchase.

Chief TomaToe

Wow, very informative video! Thank you for sharing.

Micromark still offers their 16" lathe here:

I"ve had this model for several years as well and was very happy with it up until I upgraded to a much larger lathe.

Check out this recent YouTube video on the Blondihacks channel for a good rundown on choosing an asian built lathe. While it is mostly about larger (>7 inch) lathes, there is a discussion on the mini's at the end. Quinn also discusses tooling costs. Well worth watching if you're in the market.

Bill

1shootist

Something very important to pay special attention to is motor size. Lathes from competing sellers will be similiar though some downsize the motor to sell at a cheaper price...which will hurt torque and really **** you off.
And another is the hole that runs through the head..I can't think of the proper name it's called but it is what restricts the size of long stock you can run through the headstock and turn., the largest you can get on both are better aswell as preferred.

And to some place to purchase a lathe. As many have stated Littlemachineshop has great mid size lathes and superb customer support after purchase.
I too use a micromark 7 x 16 that I've had for many years, the only things that have broken on it over the years I caused. Great lathes.
Grizzly lathes are really good too...most of their mini lathes comes with more beefier tailstocks and motors than comparable lathes sold by others.

I advise caution buying a lathe off ebay...and would not recommend it.

1shootist

One more thing I wanted to add, keep in mind depending on where the lathe you purchase is coming from..you may have the additional cost of a tariff tax which could add hundreds$$ to the final cost. Littlemachineshop figures in tariff cost automatically with shipping so you know before paying.

MiteyF

One accessory that I find VERY useful for pens on my 7x14 lathe is this ..... a 4" 4-jaw scroll chuck (NOT the independent jaws). . This chuck gives you a larger throat size so that you can insert 0.85" diameter blanks to a depth of 5" and accurately drill them and square the ends.

I find it odd that you stress accuracy (as you should) and then recommend AGAINST the far more accurate chuck. You will never get the accuracy you get from a 4 jaw independent chuck from any scroll chuck. Sure, a scroll chuck is quicker, but you can't dial it in like you can an independent jaw chuck.

Dieseldoc

I find it odd that you stress accuracy (as you should) and then recommend AGAINST the far more accurate chuck. You will never get the accuracy you get from a 4 jaw independent chuck from any scroll chuck. Sure, a scroll chuck is quicker, but you can't dial it in like you can an independent jaw chuck.
That is true for a custom high end machine shop,operator. However most of the group of pin turners are not looking for that accuracy, like you said it?s quicker.

magpens

@MiteyF

Thank you for your comments. . I hope I am neither misinterpreting you nor going too far with this reply. My main reason for specifying the 4-jaw scroll chuck (and mentioning the 4-jaw independent) was to make "newbies" aware of having to make that choice in view of the advantage of using a 4-jaw over a 3-jaw on a mini-lathe for turning pens. . I also hope that I am not being overly academic. . There are several considerations.

I think the concept of accuracy is relative to, and dictated by, the task at hand. . As Dieseldoc said, we pen turners don't ever need the accuracy that a machine shop needs so the rigorous carefulness required in using an independent jaw chuck is both overkill and inconvenient. . If you buy a 4-jaw independent you are forcing yourself, all the time, into a delicate measuring regimen to avoid out-of-round and out-of-balance. . For drilling a pen blank the mini-lathe plus 4-jaw scroll offers very adequate accuracy that far exceeds that achievable with a drill press, plus allows you to accommodate all blank diameters in the appropriate range normally used for pens. . By "very adequate accuracy" I am thinking about 0.5 to 1 thou deviation between the desired pen blank axis and the machine rotational axis (but I could be kidding myself a little bit).

As I see it, the primary use for a 4-jaw independent chuck, in the context of pen turning, would be to deliberately "dial in" (your terminology) some off-axis deviation to achieve, for example, the shaping of the cross-section (through multiple adjustments) to be other than round. I realize that such a chuck can be used for other things, such as gripping material stock which has asymmetrical shape, or converting an oval-shaped cross-section to a circular cross-section, etc., etc. But I think I may be going too far by even suggesting such things here.

The point is .... a 4-jaw independent is just not appropriate for "normal" pen turning .... in my opinion, and in my experience.

EDIT:
I have to admit, sheepishly, that I only now realize that what I should probably have suggested, initially, is a 4-inch diameter 3-jaw chuck for the mini-lathe in order to get the bigger throat diameter that accepts "largish" pen blanks for the drilling operation. . But, in my own defense, one could argue that a 4-inch 4-jaw (scroll chuck) might in some cases be preferable, depending on the particular application. .
That's what I use .... and hence my "bias" !! Enough said .... I guess !! . If I could completely delete this reply to you, I probably would 🥵

Last edited:

More4dan

I've been turning with a 7x10 HF mini metal lathe for almost 4 years. Paid under $400 with a sale and coupons. My impressions: it is really a 7 x 8" lathe but I've been able to make it work for pens. The 3" 3 jaw chuck can be modified to pass up to 3/4" material through the headstock. I bored mine to 0.730" just short of the maximum. I turn my blanks round between centers to 0.73" and then hold recessed in the chuck to drill. This leaves plenty of room to drill on the short lathe bed. The motor isn't very strong but strong enough for hobby work, you just make lighter depth of cuts. I've turned aluminum, brass, copper, 300 series stainless steel, 440C stainless steel, O1 tools steel (annealed), and Stainless steel Damascus that was partially hardened requiring carbide for drilling and turning. All without any major issues. Go slow, use the right bit material and grind profiles, and the proper cutting fluid. I have some titanium and bronze to truly test this little lathe in the coming months.

A quick change tool post is a great add mostly allowing you to adjust tool cutting height without shims or grinding. HSS bits are a big help for better finishes on metals and a necessity for wood and plastics.

A recent modification was to add a ER32 collet chuck that gives me more length to work and the ability to pass 20mm (0.787")diameter material through the headstock. The collet chuck bolts to the spindle just like the standard 3" chuck. I've not used my 3 jaw chuck since getting the collets. It only takes a minute more to swap the collet than to mount in the old chuck. They hold more securely and accurately without damaging what they are holding.

Little Machine Shop is a great place to get parts and accessories but some can be purchased at lower cost elsewhere. I've purchased a lot from www.banggood.com for a fraction of the LMS prices.

If you plan to be turning steel above an 1" in diameter, you should be looking for something larger than a 7" mini. But, for pens, the 7" lathes will work. The 7x10 (really 8) length is a challenge for drilling large diameters but can be overcome. If you have the budget, I'd get something longer. I purchased a 16" replacement bed for mine for $180 but after a year I've still not installed it.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• 88D9BECB-3348-432A-89B3-2577F277BD6F.jpeg
    88D9BECB-3348-432A-89B3-2577F277BD6F.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 212
Top Bottom