Metal for pen rings and clips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PFMan

Hello,

I need your help...

I tried with steel, brass and cooper, but I am not happy with final results. Rusty rings, change colors finishing,...

Which metals do you use for your kitless pens? silver and gold are too expensive for me...

thanks for your help!

Jordi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member

duncsuss

I have been making my clips from Titanium 6Al-4V alloy, 0.032" thickness has a good spring effect.

It must be heated to red hot before bending, or it will snap - I have plenty of proof of this.

PFMan

Hello,

thanks for your answers.

try nickel silver ( German Silver)which is not silver at all. Rio Grande carries it in sheet as well as rings https://www.riogrande.com/product/nickel-alloy-6-x-12-sheet-dead-soft/131116gp and
If your not in the States you may have to find a supplier in your country. Stainless steel is another option.

It is my target right now, but it is not easy to find a supplier in Spain... checking Europe right now.

304 stainless steel, purchased from eBay for me.

I used 304 Stainless steel and went wrong. I dont know if it was the sweat of the customer or the ink, but it got rust... or something similar...
I have to try with 316 stainless steel.

I have been making my clips from Titanium 6Al-4V alloy, 0.032" thickness has a good spring effect.
It must be heated to red hot before bending, or it will snap - I have plenty of proof of this.
I never did handmade clips, it is my next step, but I will consider titanium as an option.

Thanks!

Top Bottom