Messed Up some Pretty Burl - It Stinks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

Well, this afternoon I messed up a nice piece of Golden Camphor Burl, but I'm going to show it anyway. I just got done tossing my PSI Designer bushings - they were worn way too much, and I wasn't paying attention and turned the diameter on the upper blank down too much. The fit at the center band is really bad, but it is such a nice piece of wood, I decided to share it anyway. It stinks to add such a pretty piece of wood to my junk box.

IMG_1510 Cropped.jpg

Regards,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

Another trick is to build an extra thick layer of CA on it till it is restored to the right size. Once polished you can hardly tell its undersized as the surface magnifies the wood under it.

jttheclockman

Would not happen if you would use calipers BUY a couple sets of digital calipers and use them I turn all my bushings down because they get in the way but i use them as GUIDES and GUIDES alone. So many people tell the story of using calipers. :) Just friendly advise

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Gary suggested what I do. I deliberately over turned a few early on just to practice building up to size. Great training experience and then you never have to worry again.

Plus, as JT said - depend on and trust the calipers, not the bushings.

JT, I never thought of that, but intentionally turning bushings down to get them out of the way is one way to depend on the calipers. 👍

SteveJ

Almost 25 years ago I did that with a pen which I was going to discard. Then my wife saw it and claimed it. She continues to use it on an almost daily basis! Everything I look at it I want to take it apart and replace that overturned piece-but she won't let me. You never know how something we think is wrong others will love.

jttheclockman

Gary suggested what I do. I deliberately over turned a few early on just to practice building up to size. Great training experience and then you never have to worry again.

Plus, as JT said - depend on and trust the calipers, not the bushings.

JT, I never thought of that, but intentionally turning bushings down to get them out of the way is one way to depend on the calipers. 👍
Hank they get hit anyway and usually after the first couple pens they are not of true value anyway. It is just the nature of the sport. They do 2 things for me, hold the blank steady and get me close. I always use calipers to bring it home. I actually take the blank off the lathe to measure so I can get right at the edge where the component meets the blank. If you do it when on the lathe the calipers are set back just a smidge and gives a false reading. Just my way I do things and has worked well for me.

SteveG

Hank they get hit anyway and usually after the first couple pens they are not of true value anyway. It is just the nature of the sport. They do 2 things for me, hold the blank steady and get me close. I always use calipers to bring it home. I actually take the blank off the lathe to measure so I can get right at the edge where the component meets the blank. If you do it when on the lathe the calipers are set back just a smidge and gives a false reading. Just my way I do things and has worked well for me.
Take the blank off the lathe to measure.

I use that same technique for the final measurements...much more accurate, and takes no more time to accomplish, compared to going back to deal with an over... or under turned blank. Try it once, you will probably make it part of your routine going forward.

Top Bottom