Mesquite Mother's Day Bowl with a twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
We have a 28 month old daughter so I wanted to do something for my wife from her for Mother's Day. My wife eats oatmeal almost every morning so I decided to make her a mesquite bowl with a twist! Katie (my daughter) and I wrapped it together and I let her take it to her momma on Mother's Day.

Side view with a crack filled with turquoise embossing powder and CA

2008713193159_MesqKatiePic1.jpg

Bottom view

2008713193251_MesqKatiePic3.jpg

Now for the Twist!!

2008713193341_MesqKatiePic2.jpg

I turned the bowl to finished size and then turned a recess in the bottom. I carefully cut out the picture and used CA to adhere it to the bowl. I then took the bowl off the chuck and filled the bottom of the bowl with clear Alumilite and put in my pressure pot. Once cured, I put it back on the lathe and turned until all the Alumilite was gone from the bottom except a layer over the picture circle only.

The finish is not absolutely perfect since it is a CA finish and CA is REAL HARD to do on a bowl. I used CA because on bowls it makes a completely impervious and durable finish that you can actually use without damage to the finish or the wood.

Thanks for looking and for any comments, good or bad!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

What an awesome bowl. I bet the mother treasures it and the little daughter will also when she is all grown up. Daddy made big points with that one!

ahoiberg

really cool concept curtis. great work on it. i know what you mean about ca finishing things larger than pens.. it's a PITA!

Top Bottom