Mesquite Bud Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

The younger of my two daughters had a large mesquite tree taken down that was causing problems with both the driveway and the expansion of her home. Guess who got most of the wood?

F965A034-1F88-40B0-9968-6C8E4AB228C9.jpeg

That's right, 3 truckloads of the stuff! Turns like a dream and I love the contrast of the creamy sapwood and dark heartwood. Sanded to 400, BLO, sanding sealer, and a finish I make with walnut oil, microcrystalline wax, and carnauba wax just to give it a bit of a luster. I was going to do a gloss poly finish but I wanted a more natural look and I'm glad I went with the low sheen. I'm very happy with this one and since it's the first thing I've turned from the tree I think it's fitting to give it back to her. I hope she likes it as much as I do. It's far from perfect, but it isn't too bad either!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That's beautiful Jay. And I love the fact that you left a more natural finish. To me that is my preferred way to enjoy the beauty of the wood. Nice shape also.

Thanks for sharing.

SteveAxelrod

Looks like all the practice on cast mini vases paid off! Your daughter will love it! Glad you're finally back in the shop. Sounds like you have a lot of mesquite to turn. Welcome back Jay!

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm sure I'll many more to show over the next few years!

Looks like all the practice on cast mini vases paid off! Your daughter will love it! Glad you're finally back in the shop. Sounds like you have a lot of mesquite to turn. Welcome back Jay!

Thanks Steve. Day 26 and I still have the crud. I wanted to start on another project but I ran out of gas pretty early today.

Top Bottom