MEKP question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeinSC

I cant find what im looking for.

Does the formulation of MEKP change from different suppliers or manufacturers? Or does it have to be one particular formulation, with the same ratio of chemicals, to be called mekp.

Basically, is it the same across the board or no?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeinSC

That's what I've been using but am running low compared to the resin. Lowes sells some mekp by Bondo that's a lot more for cheaper.

MikeinSC

So what you're saying is that it wouldn't be a problem and that we all have to go someday so live like a viking and die with your b@lls out?

I translated that from the msds.

BSea

To answer your question, I do think there is a difference in formulas. I think the casting craft sets faster than what you get from US Composits. I can't prove that other than by my own experience, and also from comparing information from other casters.

Personally, I like the longer setup time. But I do a lot of 3, 4, & 5 color pours. It's harder when the setup time is faster IMHO.

MikeinSC

I'm near Walterboro, about 1.5 hrs away. Mekp, traveling through Denmark plus Brooks Blanks might be all I need to make that road trip. I'm starting a new job and still working my old one for now but I will let you know when I can make it out that way.

Thank you.

Sylvanite

The actual chemical Methyl-Ethyl-Keytone-Peroxide has different formulations, but the most commonly used one in casting is MEKP at 9% active oxygen. That's probably pretty much the same across brands.

The hardener we buy labeled as MEKP however, is not pure. It is the chemical above mixed with solvents and other compounds. The percentage of MEKP in the hardener may vary from brand to brand.

sbell111

That's what I've been using but am running low compared to the resin. Lowes sells some mekp by Bondo that's a lot more for cheaper.
It seems that I am constantly disposing of unused MEKP. As such, it's a bit hard for my addled brain to grasp the idea of 'running out'. Out of curiosity, how many drops per ounce are you using?

MikeinSC

8 drops per pen. I only run out if I get any of the resin without the mekp. Michael's seems to have it with the catalyst attached, others like hobby lobby or a.c.moore don't. So I'll buy some without it, some with and get low. Those stores arent as close as Lowes and I go to Lowes more often which is why I am looking for alternatives

sbell111

8 drops per pen. I only run out if I get any of the resin without the mekp. Michael's seems to have it with the catalyst attached, others like hobby lobby or a.c.moore don't. So I'll buy some without it, some with and get low. Those stores arent as close as Lowes and I go to Lowes more often which is why I am looking for alternatives

Thanks

Brooks803

I'm near Walterboro, about 1.5 hrs away. Mekp, traveling through Denmark plus Brooks Blanks might be all I need to make that road trip. I'm starting a new job and still working my old one for now but I will let you know when I can make it out that way.

Thank you.

Cool! I'll be here when you're ready. I just picked up 20gal of resin so I have another half gallon of mekp to add to the collection

BSea

Thank you.

Cool! I'll be here when you're ready. I just picked up 20gal of resin so I have another half gallon of mekp to add to the collection
They give you a half gallon of MEKP for 20 gallons of resin?!?!?:eek:

I get 6 ounces from US Composits when I order a 5 gallon drum. I know you get yours from another vendor, but still! That's a huge difference.

Brooks803

lol...I should have explained that better. No they didn't give me that much yesterday. I added it in with the same amount I got 2 weeks ago that never got used. So all together its close to a half gallon

Top Bottom