Meeting info request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Where does your chapter meet and do you have to pay for the space? I am still just collecting info and trying to get this all figured out.
Thanks,
Neil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Knucklefish

We are a fairly new club that started last year and have has 4 meetins so far. We have rented a small space in an office complex for the day ($50-70/day) but the last 2 meetings have been at members homes/shops (garages) and we like that format the best. Just our 2 Cents.

Last edited:

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Neil,
Our Wisconsin group meets every 3-4 months at the local
Woodcraft
14115 W. Greenfield Ave.
New Berlin, WI 53151

The owners, Chris and Dena Kraemer, provide us with our own meeting room when ever we need. They also provide us with refreshments, popcorn, bottled water, coffee and cookies. There is no charge to us. We also get a 10% discount on most items by mentioning the IAP.
We have access to 2 full size lathes that are owned by other turning clubs. (Most of us are members of these clubs) and up to 6 other lathes on request.

We couldn't ask for a better host.

Feel free to contact me if you need any more info. I've been running the Wisconsin group for about three years.

rej19

We started the Indy chapter as a small group. We met at different locations from individuals shops to Rocklers & Woodcraft. We quickly out grew those locations and now me at a church which has great facilities for our group. There is a large room for group meetings and individual rooms for demo's etc. We get this free of charge thanks to one of our members Dan Mechuta.

randywa

Our last meeting was at The Rosewood Shop, a local wood supplier. He donated the space, a lathe, and cooked burgers for us. I'm not sure about anyone else, but it cost me about $100 for the wood that jumped into my truck.

trapper

Hi,
I've been running a thread to hopefully establish a uk chapter. I've had a positive if limited response (after all the UK is just a tad smaller then the USA) can you give me guidance as to best practice to get set up

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Hi,
I've been running a thread to hopefully establish a uk chapter. I've had a positive if limited response (after all the UK is just a tad smaller then the USA) can you give me guidance as to best practice to get set up

Hello Stephen,

I've been conducting chapter meetings in Milwaukee, Wisconsin for about three years.

We are lucky to have a Woodcraft that will allow us to have meetings whenever we decide. We have meetings about every three months with a demo at each. We also have a chat session before the meeting that I let run past the start time. Our meetings are at noon on a Sunday. This allows members time to get to the meeting then home at a reasonable time. Some of our group travel up to 100 miles one way. At the end of the meeting there is a pen exchange, pens are exchanges by a raffle system so the exchange is totally at random. There is also a blanks exchange.

I maintain a roster of everyone that attends the meetings, contact info, who does what demos and notes from each meeting along with thoughts for future meetings. Since some of our members don't check the forum ofter I send out an email announcing the next meeting. Our average attendance is about 20. I'm lucky that I've never had a problem getting someone to do a demo.

I'm sending you an email with my spreadsheet attached so you can see what I do and maybe get some ideas. Please note that there tabs on the bottom of the page that have more info. (I use MS Excel)

Hope this helps. If there's anything else I can do to help you feel free to PM or email me.

Dave Drickhamer
ssajn

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Our last meeting was at The Rosewood Shop, a local wood supplier. He donated the space, a lathe, and cooked burgers for us. I'm not sure about anyone else, but it cost me about $100 for the wood that jumped into my truck.

...and before the Rosewood shop we used meeting rooms at the local library or rented a pavilion at a local park. You gotta watch that "jumping wood"... it will get you every time! :biggrin:

Top Bottom