Maybe I just need a hug

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emtmike

We did a show last Sat. and Sun., that by the way went very well thanks to our credit card acceptance, and at the show a guy came over to our booth to chat. He admired our work and said our pens were very well made. He then asked me “think you would be interested in doing some turning for me?†He told me he had a contract to turn pens from some historical thing and needed 400 pens a week until at least Christmas. He would supply everything. The blanks are already drilled and the tubes are in them the ends are also milled square. I am not a fan of “cranking out pens†I put a lot of time and care into each one. He offered me $4 per pen. I am turning out about 5 an hour now, (he says he can do twice that) So 5 per hour for 8 hours @ $4 per pen = $160. I have 2 more shows before Christmas and have lots of pens for them so I am not letting my work get put aside for his and I need the $$$ to set up a good workshop so we can try expand out little business. My question is this, did I sell out my craft for a quick buck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

My first question would be is this the guy who sells pens for $400 a shot made from wood from old baseball parks? If it is, you're getting screwed. Have you tried any of this wood yet? Maybe the stuff is a nightmare to turn and finish. And if he can turn out 10 pens an hour, why doesn't he do them himself and make an extra $4.00? Lastly, I just think $4.00 isn't enough.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Hey, what ever floats your boat, but at his speed of 10 pens an hour (6 minutes per pen), it can't be much of a finish on the pens, maybe just FP.

Dario

Mike,

I personally won't do it but as most said...if you need the money, do what you have to do.

I can never make them that fast though and maintain the fit that I will be comfortable parting with...even with FP finish.

txbob

How are the tubes glued in? Do you get paid if a blank blows up? Do you have to pay him if a blank blows up? Will you have to spend time cleaning glue out of the tubes so they'll fit on your mandrel? What kind of wood? How easy or hard to turn? Wood from WWII submarine decks and from turn of the century buildings are a %$#$^%& to turn. Do you finish the wood? Sanded to what grit? With your sandpaper? With what finish? Who furnishes it? Who does quality control? Can he just say he isn't happy with your work and not pay you? Do you have to pay him for material you "damage"? Do you assemble the pens, or just turn the blanks? What happens when you can't deliver as many pens as he wants, on his schedule?

Yeah, I know, I'm a pessimist.

txbob

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />
Originally posted by emtmike
My question is this, did I sell out my craft for a quick buck?
IMHO, yes.
Ditto, sort of. Don't think you sold out for a buck, but Cranking out pens at that price for someone else would get old after about the first hour, for me. Did some thing like that for a cue maker once, made his little widgets for him for a couple of bucks apiece. Never again.
BTW, 5 per hour for 8 hours is only 40 pens. Looks like a 16 hour day to me, unless that is your part. Yikes!!

hilltopper46

Don't forget that you have costs as well. Heating, electricity, tool wear, medical insurance/deductables (for when it is dark-thirty and you're tired and the unthinkable happens). I think your fee is a little light, personally.

Daniel

Look at the bright side. at least you won't be doing this forever. I made pens like this is for a short time and gave them all away. To soldiers, but still, if it is all worth it to you than it is worth it. for me personally I have to many other things I can make extra money at for this deal to be appealing. But that is me.
I don't think you sold out by any means.

Tea Clipper

Originally posted by emtmike
<br />
BTW, 5 per hour for 8 hours is only 40 pens. Looks like a 16 hour day to me, unless that is your part. Yikes!!
40 x $4=$160 right
[/quote]

Yeah, but to make 400 pens/week means working longer than 8 hrs/day...

I'd pass on the deal just due to the sheer numbers required. [xx(]

Ron Mc

I would concentrate on your business of making BEAUTIFUL pens instead of concentrating on his business.
In the end you will be glad you did![;)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
400 pens a week for 8 weeks? I think you will create a shop that you never want to visit. And you'll miss the fun of several holiday seasons. Is there a compromise? And maybe a couple more dollars per pen? And a little less risk? You just MIGHT be able to make it worth your while. I sure wish you luck no matter which way you go.

I guess it depends on what you are motivated by...if the volume and the pay is good for you then do it...but I can tell you I turn down a lot of offers like this with no regrets,, I do not want to become a slave to something I enjoy...volume work is not my cup of tea, it is something that is up to you....my feet hurt just thinking about standing there turning for such little satisfaction....I love meeting the people who buy my work and staying in touch with them.

I say look at what you enjoy most about this then decide..

[:)]

thetalbott4

Look at it this way...if the money gets you the tools or equipment to turn out better stuff for yourself that you wouldnt be able to get otherwise, and you have the time to put into it, then do it. It's benefitting YOUR pen making in the long run. Think of it as working a little overtime to get the extra dough for the fishing boat. You dont want to work extra, but it's the only way you can pay for the boat. Besides, I'm betting that when your done, you will be able to turn and finish much faster than you can now, and get better results too.

GBusardo

Mike,
Here are my thoughts when I read your post.
Does anyone have that sort of time?
Would I be ok with the fact that some of the pens might not turn out too good?
How well does the pen have to turn out?
Would I get burnt out?
The money is tempting, maybe I would buy a duplicator from the first check amd use it just for this guys work
When and how do you get paid?
Is this fishy? Who in the world needs historical 2500 pens?
Would I see my work on QVC selling for 25 or more dollars?
Will I be paying taxes on the profit?
What if my lathe takes a dump?
What ever you choose, good luck!! And no, personally I do not believe you are selling out the craft. There is no way this will be anywhere near your best work, its just a business deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom