May Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Was discussed, but will have to make sure the pavilion will be available....stay tuned!

Also, inside of a "Under $10 pen swap", was asked if you would like to do a "Slimline Challenge"? Anything from something simple like changing the center band, to a all out longline, fatline, or whatever....

Scott (please answer about challenge) B

BSea

The idea of the "Challenge" is just to get everyone out of their comfort zone a bit. So for the PITH, make a slimline. The only rule is that it can't be stock, and you're supposed to challenge yourself to try something new. I will check on the pavillion this next week & let everyone know.

TDE

I checked my schedule for May and I'm off the 17th. Hot dog! Looking forward to the next one. Bob, my wife said she will enjoy her new pen. LOL
Ted:)

BSea

Ok, I reserved a pavilion for May 17th. It is pavilion #5. The one we had last time had already been rented. For those who were at the last meeting we had at the park, #5 pavillion is about 150 yards up river from the pavilion we had last time. It does have a better grill, so we won't have to bring a separate grate to cook on. Not as many trees, but still has a nice view of the river.

For those who didn't make the last meeting at the park, I'll post a map along with directions when we get a little closer to the meeting.

EDIT: Or you can look at this thread for the map & directions. Look at post 13 for map & post 19 for pictures. But just remember the pictures of the site, are of site #1. We will have site #5 for the May 17th meeting.

Last edited:

SDB777

Cool!!!

We need to put our 'thinking hats' on....we will need demo's.

Weather depending, I'm thinking about a simple casting two color demo using Silmar41 PolyResin? But it will definitely be a demo that is dependent on the weather.....so don't get too excited.

Scott (how about turning something too) B

Hot dog! I may get to make this one! It is graduation time here... again (I am employeed at the school) and this will give me an excuse to get out of town &
miss all the "fun". I'm all for the Challenge contest...we could even do a tool swap,
(tools we don't use sold @ below cost) or display "other things we make". I have never done a demo...it might be time for me to get out of my comfort zone & try one...I'll have to think about that....I mean Randall & I taught Industrial Arts for 100 years (it seemed that long) in our other life...I might still remember how... See ya'll in May!

BSea

My challenge pen is done!!!:bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051:

I did 2 things I'd never done before. It's not perfect, but I think it came out pretty good.

And I think I'll be bringing a new member to the meeting. Remember, it's at Maumelle park on May 17th. Bring whatever you want to cook. And maybe a dip or desert to share.

My computer got hit by lightning a few days ago, and until I get the info off my hard drive, the directions will have to wait. Or you can go look at the thread from last year.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f153/august-meeting-111328/index2.html

Look at post 19. Just remember it's pavilion #5, not #1.

SDB777

Can only hope for the same weather as the last time we were at the park....I'll bring a coat!

Am planning on a PR demo, but if it is humid or cold....that might not work.
Maybe John can bring his new lathe and we can all drool on it!?!?!?

Scott (which is number 1) B

joe004

Iplan on making to this meeting since I missed the last one. As a rookie/newbie what all do I need to bring with me? I look forward to meeting you guys and learning more about pen making.

Thanks
Joe

BSea

Iplan on making to this meeting since I missed the last one. As a rookie/newbie what all do I need to bring with me? I look forward to meeting you guys and learning more about pen making.

Thanks
Joe
This meeting we're having a cookout. So bring whatever you want to grill. And bring something to share like a desert or a side item. We always have too much food.

We usually have a pen trade. This time we are doing a slimline challenge. Just modify a slimline in some way. We have a recommended $10 limit on the total cost of the pen. So you don't need to do a tru-stone pen, or anything elaborate.

Bring some your work to show off. It doesn't have to be pens, it can be anything you've made. Even non turned items are ok.

We look forward to seeing you there.

BSea

Here are the directions to Maumelle State Park.

Go west on Cantrall (also called highway 10)The turn off is about 2.5 miles west of the 430/Cantrell exchange. There will be a Sonic Drive in, and a Kroger on the right. Just past that there will be a stop light with a sign to Maumelle park. Take a right at the light on Pinnacle Valley Road, and follow the signs to the park.

After that keep straight over the railroad track. The road will take a bend to the right and you will pass a bike ramp that is to the right going over a 'muddy spot in the creek'... Take the next road you see to the left that is Pinnacle Valley Drive(it will have bike trails on both sides-just watch out cause the bike folks don't use them...they like the middle of the street). The park entrance is straight ahead (if you go around a corner, you missed it)!

Attached is the map showing the location of the pavilion inside the park.

Attachments

• Pavilion 5 map.pdf
    487.2 KB · Views: 237

BSea

Ok, it's only a week away. Since this is a cookout, we'll need to bring charcoal & lighter, paper plates, and some plastic knives & forks. If you can bring some of these, please post here so we don't double up on too much of this.

Remember to bring whatever you want to cook.

And right now, the only demo scheduled is a PR casting demo. Anyone else have any ideas?

BSea

I talked to Pete, and he said he'd bring paper plates, and I think some forks & spoons.

Kroger is only a few miles away if we need anything.

SDB777

I'm thinking I am going to get my wish about the temps.
It may not be the best weather conditions for doing a 'casting demo'...cold temps and high humidity equals a long time for 'set-up'.

Thank you for Global Warming, or is it Climate Chaos now....?

Scott (why does grass keep growing) B

BSea

Hey John, I think 1 bag will be plenty. And you're right Scott. It may be to cold for a caring demo. But I'll take 65 over 95 any day.

BSea

Hey John, I think 1 bag will be plenty. And you're right Scott. It may be to cold for a caring demo. But I'll take 65 over 95 any day.
that's supposed to say "CASTING" demo. I'm using a tablet at times, and I guess I'm not the best at swiping. But I'm worse at proofreading. :redface:

TDE

Do I need to get lighter for the charcoal? I'll pick up some donuts for a snack. Maybe they will last till I get there. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Joe, I hate that you can't be there but I sure know about having to work.. D.L. Gunn told me he wasn't going to be able to make it either. Guess me and all my friends will be riding together. See ya'll in the morning. Ted:)

BSea

58 degrees in May, who would have thought? But it was still a fun meeting, but maybe our shortest to date. I don't know if anyone took pics this time. We were pretty much trying to stay warm around the fire.

John stole the show by bringing ribs to cook. He also did most of the cooking for everyone. If we ever have official officers for our little group, he'll be Head Grill Master.

We also welcomed a new member (Bob Peavy), who also trains hawks. Very interesting guy. Considering the weather, we had a great turnout. And as usual, we didn't make any firm plans for the next meeting. But since Pete & Ratis volunteered their place again (with AC in the shop), my vote is to go to Greenbriar again.

Sunshine & 83!

Hey guys! When I got 2 & 1/2 to 3 hours south, the sun was shining & it was 83* @ 4:30....Go figure....I thought we had a good meeting also! I learned several things about turning I did not know..so that is always a win-win. It was good to see everyone & I am looking forward to August...although on Aug 20-24 I will be at a woodturning sumposium in Waco, TX. If you are looking for a "learning" vacation I would highly recommend the S.W.A.T. wood turning show! I got home with: 1) renewed friendships, 2) a very nice purple pen, 3) a nice blue Aluminite blank, 4) a nice old growth pine pen blank, 5) a nice modified slimline ball bat pen, 6)information on tapping Alumilite, and 7) tips on making a capless pen! All in all, a very relaxing & enjoyable day! I am looking forward to going to Pickles Gap and the "postponed casting demo"!:)

Number 8)

I almost forgot! 8) I also got an orgami bag from an old friend from my other life...as an Industrial Arts teacher 38 years ago!:laugh:Thanks Randal!

TDE

Just wanted to say what a good time I had today. John did a great job as head grill master. Good to see everyone. Sure glad we had coats. Always enjoy the pith swap. Looking forward to the next already. Hope I can make it too. Glad you had a good trip home Phillip. Scott twisted my arm so I stopped by his house and carried some of his wood home. Thanks for a good time. Good to have new people there also. Ted (made Scott miss his nap):)

Boy I sure do ramble in my thoughts.

Sleep..

I dosed a little bit on the drive home...When I got home I was motivated so I got in the shop (The Turnery) & started on a bowl blank I had glued up earlier in the week....I put some mineral oil & beeswax on the inside but after I did, I decided I probably should have used the hand rubbed MinWax poly....oh well, that just mean I will have to try another bowl...
about 7:30 I thought about a nap but my son & daughter-in-law came by & I showed my orgami bag to my little bitty baby grand-daughter & she latched on to it so I may have lost it already..lol...

Just wanted to say what a good time I had today. John did a great job as head grill master. Good to see everyone. Sure glad we had coats. Always enjoy the pith swap. Looking forward to the next already. Hope I can make it too. Glad you had a good trip home Phillip. Scott twisted my arm so I stopped by his house and carried some of his wood home. Thanks for a good time. Good to have new people there also. Ted (made Scott miss his nap):)

Boy I sure do ramble in my thoughts.

Finally a nap...

Poppa K takes a nap while Sweet Pea has to feed herself.....:tongue:

Attachments

• 140517_0000.jpg
    140517_0000.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 207
Smooth finish..

My bowls do not appear as smooth on the inside as your pictures show yours to be! Have you sanded that or is that the finish from your gouge?
Are you using a bowl gouge?:)

Hawker 1

A very belated Thanks to all for the warm welcome at the meeting on the river. Look forward to another get together. Sorry don't remember all the names but thanks for the tips on several areas of turning and finishing. I am going to make a list for the next time and take notes.

BSea

A very belated Thanks to all for the warm welcome at the meeting on the river. Look forward to another get together. Sorry don't remember all the names but thanks for the tips on several areas of turning and finishing. I am going to make a list for the next time and take notes.
What do you mean you don't remember all the names? I know you remember mine.

NOTE: Hawker 1 and I are both named Bob. But he spells his backwards.:biggrin:

TDE

Always good to have new people show up at the meetings. I always manage to learn something from every meeting. I'm looking forward to the next one also. Ted:)

Top Bottom