Master bedroom remodel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GaryMGg

GaryMGg

Many of you probably don't remember me as a penmaker. :redface:
I've been working on a lot of home projects doing flatwork -- one of them is remodeling our master bedroom.

When we originally built the house, we used rough sawn, red western cedar. Over time, we've learned that rough sawn trim and solid wood floors without rugs allows dust to aggregate quickly. Judy decided to repaint the room and I'd been wanting to eliminate those dust bunnies, so I suggested we redo the room a bit more formal and elegant.

Everything is built from air-dried black walnut I purchased from a sawyer in Missouri. Starting with 4/4 rough lumber, I've been planing and milling lots of shavings. When complete, the master bedroom will have custom black walnut door and window trim, base boards, and picture rail molding along the perimeter of the entire room.
Here's a couple of photos showing what I'm doing lately.

Replacing the original box beam with black walnut:
46193.jpg

And a close-up of the box beam:
46194.jpg

This is a shot of the new window trim being dry fit to the window:
1WindowTrim.jpg

Close-up of the new window trim. This is raw black walnut prior to my putting any finish on it:

4WindowTrimCorner.jpg

If anyone is interested, more photos can be seen here

Thanks for viewing and offering any comments or criticisms.

Cheers,
G

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
S

spiritwoodturner

Beautiful, Gary! Did you mill all the moldings yourself? What did you use? When you get those all finished (tell me you're putting plain clear varnish with nothing else on that lovely walnut) you'll have a masterpiece Master Bedroom!!! What kind of wood are the windows? I think the different colors work, if you were thinking of keeping the window color. If not, when I did mine I used that tinted urethane from HD that let me match the existing with new, darker trim I liked better. It took about 3 or 4 coats, as I remember, but it was worth it.

Anyway, you should throw parties in your new Bedroom!! Then again, maybe you will. Post those pics when you get them...

Dale

fiferb

Gary, Wow! That's about all I can say. Your house was magnificent the two times I've visited you. Looks like I'll have to plan another stop to see your new stuff.

GaryMGg

Dale,
Thanks for the nice words. Yes, I milled the modlings myself. The inner edge is a small Roman Ogee profile and the outer edge is a Roman Ogee vertical raised panel bit. My finishing schedule is dewaxed Shellac followed by BLO. I expect the top two or three final coats will be Original Waterlox.
After all, it's air-dried walnut -- I wouldn't want to color it with stain. :wink:
As to the pre-existing pine windows, I'll likely touch 'em up with a few coats of dewaxed Amber shellac as Judy likes them together and the floors are 5-1/2" wide T&G longleaf and heart pine.
Cheers,
G

GaryMGg

Hans,
I don't have pics of that but If this doesn't explain it, let me know and I'll take some.
The bottom crossmembers of the horses are just high enough that the feet slide underneath them. Therefore, two takes up just a little more space than one, and three takes up just a little more space than two, and so on.
My shop to floor height is 11' high, so I hang 'em from the rafters when not in use.

Bruce,
Thanks for the comments; it's always a pleasure to see you. I hope you can visit again soon.

Cheers,
G

rhahnfl

I know the feeling... my Judy has had me installing crown moulding and chair rail all over the house. We've ripped up carpet and old tile and linoleum and put down tile in all but the master bedroom and family room. It's great to not have carpet! My woodworking has suffered a bunch though. That and I had to take a little time out for a couple of stents and some angioplasty. Santa was real good to me though and I can't wait to get back into the shop. I got a Nova DVR lathe and a variety of saws for the shop... just need to get some time out there with it. Anyway... the wife saw yours pics and we both think it is gorgeous!!! Congrats on the great job.

VisExp

That some nice looking trim work Gary. The walnut looks beautiful. Can't wait to see what it looks like after you've put the Waterlox on it.

GaryMGg

Thanks guys.
Chris, Judy and I used to live near Fleming Island. We were down the road on 320 near the park with the 4 old grain silos. It used to be pretty rural, now it's over-built with apartments and the like.
Keith, coming from you that's quite a compliment. Thank you again.
Gary

FloridaDon

Gary,

No wonder why guys like you make such beautiful pens as it must be kids play compared to the work you have done with this Walnut. Simply a beautiful job.

When I win the Lotto, perhaps I will have you do some work for me! :)

Florida Don

Top Bottom