Marking Tartan Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NZ Pens

Hi all, I haven't done any segmented pens however would like to try something out.

My mother-in-law is of Scottish heritage and is fond of her family tartan (Macmillan).

Has anyone made a tartan pen blank that can give me some guidance as to how the blank can be made (of it's even possible)?
I'm struggling to think through how it would be done.

Thanks in advance,
Kent

0bcab7b6f4d91a9a66f20d4cbb275ac5.jpg

jttheclockman

Easiest way is to make a decal or label and attach to tube and clear cast it in acrylic. Or get a piece of that cloth and attach to tube and clear cast it. Probably would need to use color preservative to keep colors from getting muddy colored. Then there is the possibility of thread tying that pattern but you need a good thread person. Finally you could do a many colored segmented wood or acrylic pen and doing them in staves. About 8 staves to make up a tube. That would not be easy. But could be done.

1080Wayne

Another thing that`s been on my list for years . Shrink the design so you can butt join the label in the plain part of the plaid . Pen clip would be centered 180 degrees from the join , so that the yellow and red blocks fall on both sides . Would look good for both left or right hand user . I would use Alumilite clear polyurethane , but some prefer PR . I did try it once using cloth but very unlikely to find the tartan printed in the correct repeat size for the pen barrel circumference .

Top Bottom