Marketing Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jamesomac

When selling pens, or giving them as gifts, how is the best way to describe how they are made. Some people would just compare them to Walmart or Staples pens and not see the work that goes into it or the quality of the components. I certainly would not sell one for $10.00.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jfoh

Tell them they are hand crafted in your wood shop and take more than an hour each to make. Could mention they take multiple power tools to make and each one is unique.

Joe S.

Get some upgraded refills! It really helps if your pens write like they are worth a lot of $, and are handmade to boot! I get mine at exotic blanks.

Sataro

If setting up somewhere as a vendor, you explain the steps to make them. Basically have a wood blank, then semi-turned blank, then rounded blank, then a completely finished blank with final finish on it. Then as jfoh mentioned above, you could lead them through the steps with the tools required.

I always let them know the type of finish & steps to get it to the final product that they see. When I have someone trying to get me to drop my price, I let them know that my costs involved in making the pen prevents me from lowering my price.

bwftex

Hey Billy, I liked the striped Virage you posted over at WOW!

I guess I'll have to disagree with you guys on some things.

There is no need to go to any great length about how pens are made and most people won't really care that much. A few people might be and will indicate they are. You can share all your pen detail with them. But usually telling folks that you make custom world class pens using the finest materials for beauty, comfort and performance says it all.

Here's what Visconti says about their pen making process.
"Every model is developed with the most advanced know-how, using the most precious materials available and both traditional methods and the most sophisticated and unprecedented techniques." ..........and that's it. As far as I know I do that too. Some of my technicques might be goofy, bazaar or experiments to see what might go wrong but they are still unrepresented.

The rest of their pitch is a lavish history and about creating a vision of excellence in art and design. It about creating a vision of Exclusiveness, Emotion, Prestige, and preciptions of ultimate quality. I'll bet they sell at lot more pens for way bigger dollars than most of us do. They close for big money. I want to be like them. They are some top dog Pen Guys. I have a friend who has a Visconti fountain pen and it is so sweet, but the pen in the glass box on his desk is one I made.

Sell on emotion and benefits not just features alone or the laborious processes you undertake. Hold your self out as THE Pen Man, Master of Craft and Material. The Incredible Pen Artisan. The Magician of wood, metal and ink. If you do that people will automatically assume your pens are very very special for some reason. And they are, you made them and they are your mark. And don't worry if your just starting because even the most novice Magic Master Craftsman gets better and better.

If you make beautiful pens and show them around you will find people who are interested in them. If you sell $350 plus pens you might find that the people at the flea market may think they are great but no one can afford one. If you walk into show some pens to a high level securities dealer and only have a bunch of pretty non modified 7mm pens you will find you don't have enough pen or price to get his money. Consider who you are presenting to and show your products that reflect their probable interests, tastes and pocketbook.

First a prospective customer must like or have some curiosity about pens or about a pen they see or that you show. If there is no interest at all in pens and you have nothing that catches their attention there is not much you can do but try again another day. No big deal just move on. There will always be more "not prospects" than prospects. If it was the other way around we could all get rich overnight. But if someone does zero in on something or show at least a little interest then you have a shot. If you make beautiful pens and show them around in a suitable fashion you will find people interested in them and rarely have to defend quality or price.

If you give a pen as a gift to a person who sees little value in pens they will still probably appreciate that you gave anything at all. When making a gift of a pen try to think of what they like in their life. Flowers and plants, church, favorite colors, hunting or fishing, travel, collecting certain things, dogs, sports, hobbies, cars and so on. Make something that speaks to their interest if you can. Even people who otherwise might not give a hoot about any kind of pen will probably value that special one you made just for them and brag to everyone about it and you the Ultimate Pen Master. Thought does count. Think before you make a pen. Cheap store bought pens are of no consequence. Your not even in the same market.

Again sell benefits. Prestige is a benefit and an emotion that you can establish or is evident, material or designs can have a story that evokes an emotion, or cater to an interest. Materials can have benefits.

For example I've seen many people go on and on about tru-stone? All about the details of how its made and how it's meticulously turned and shaped and then lovingly polished. I use Tru-stone a lot and my pitch for it is pretty short and highlights benefits. It's beautiful and shinny and they can already see that. Pitch the benefits of its features. For example.

That one is "Mexican Agate". That's real stone that has undergone a process to give it a degree of elasticity making it fracture resistant and more durable than native stone. Everyone will admire your pen but it's also good to know that with a little care it can be it can be admired by the next generation too.......isn't it?

The fact you use fine German made refills and cartridges is nice. But that's a feature with no stated benefit.

Saying something like this is better. We use the finest German made refills and cartridges to provide the very best writing performance. They are the international standard so they are real easy to find. You never have to worry about getting refills for your pen anywhere in the world. very best writing performance = Benefit, easy to find refills = Benefit

Always let them try the pen. If they have written with fine pens this will help confirm the quality and performance of yours. If they have always written with cheap pens sometimes they will go "WOW is that ever smooth" or "I didn't know a pen could feel so nice" or "I love roller ball pens but this one feels so good..its got a little heft to it. It really feels like something."

Ask people about what they like and what they do. They will tell you and often you tell you stories. And along the way you get all the ammo you need to help them sell themselves a pen.

It's not so much about you, your time, your work or your dedication. All that can go unsaid but will be evident if you make it about other people, what presses their hot buttons, serves their wants, desires, or interests and builds value in their eyes. This is true for selling anything from pens to vacuums to cars to homes to investments and everything else.

Bruce

OKLAHOMAN

Bruce you must have read my book, that I never got around to writing:wink:.

There is no need to go to any great length about how pens are made and most people won't really care that much. A few people might be and will indicate they are. You can share all your pen detail with them. But usually telling folks that you make custom world class pens using the finest materials for beauty, comfort and performance says it all.

"Every model is developed with the most advanced know-how, using the most precious materials available and both traditional methods and the most sophisticated and unprecedented techniques." ..........and that's it. As far as I know I do that too. Some of my technicques might be goofy, bazaar or experiments to see what might go wrong but they are still unrepresented.

The rest of their pitch is a lavish history and about creating a vision of excellence in art and design. It about creating a vision of Exclusiveness, Emotion, Prestige, and preciptions of ultimate quality. I'll bet they sell at lot more pens for way bigger dollars than most of us do. They close for big money. I want to be like them. They are some top dog Pen Guys. I have a friend who has a Visconti fountain pen and it is so sweet, but the pen in the glass box on his desk is one I made.

Sell on emotion and benefits not just features alone or the laborious processes you undertake. Hold your self out as THE Pen Man, Master of Craft and Material. The Incredible Pen Artisan. The Magician of wood, metal and ink. If you do that people will automatically assume your pens are very very special for some reason. And they are, you made them and they are your mark. And don't worry if your just starting because even the most novice Magic Master Craftsman gets better and better.

If you make beautiful pens and show them around you will find people who are interested in them. If you sell $350 plus pens you might find that the people at the flea market may think they are great but no one can afford one. If you walk into show some pens to a high level securities dealer and only have a bunch of pretty non modified 7mm pens you will find you don't have enough pen or price to get his money. Consider who you are presenting to and show your products that reflect their probable interests, tastes and pocketbook.

First a prospective customer must like or have some curiosity about pens or about a pen they see or that you show. If there is no interest at all in pens and you have nothing that catches their attention there is not much you can do but try again another day. No big deal just move on. There will always be more "not prospects" than prospects. If it was the other way around we could all get rich overnight. But if someone does zero in on something or show at least a little interest then you have a shot. If you make beautiful pens and show them around in a suitable fashion you will find people interested in them and rarely have to defend quality or price.

If you give a pen as a gift to a person who sees little value in pens they will still probably appreciate that you gave anything at all. When making a gift of a pen try to think of what they like in their life. Flowers and plants, church, favorite colors, hunting or fishing, travel, collecting certain things, dogs, sports, hobbies, cars and so on. Make something that speaks to their interest if you can. Even people who otherwise might not give a hoot about any kind of pen will probably value that special one you made just for them and brag to everyone about it and you the Ultimate Pen Master. Thought does count. Think before you make a pen. Cheap store bought pens are of no consequence. Your not even in the same market.

Again sell benefits. Prestige is a benefit and an emotion that you can establish or is evident, material or designs can have a story that evokes an emotion, or cater to an interest. Materials can have benefits.

For example I've seen many people go on and on about tru-stone? All about the details of how its made and how it's meticulously turned and shaped and then lovingly polished. I use Tru-stone a lot and my pitch for it is pretty short and highlights benefits. It's beautiful and shinny and they can already see that. Pitch the benefits of its features. For example.

That one is "Mexican Agate". That's real stone that has undergone a process to give it a degree of elasticity making it fracture resistant and more durable than native stone. Everyone will admire your pen but it's also good to know that with a little care it can be it can be admired by the next generation too.......isn't it?

The fact you use fine German made refills and cartridges is nice. But that's a feature with no stated benefit.

Saying something like this is better. We use the finest German made refills and cartridges to provide the very best writing performance. They are the international standard so they are real easy to find. You never have to worry about getting refills for your pen anywhere in the world. very best writing performance = Benefit, easy to find refills = Benefit

Always let them try the pen. If they have written with fine pens this will help confirm the quality and performance of yours. If they have always written with cheap pens sometimes they will go "WOW is that ever smooth" or "I didn't know a pen could feel so nice" or "I love roller ball pens but this one feels so good..its got a little heft to it. It really feels like something."

Ask people about what they like and what they do. They will tell you and often you tell you stories. And along the way you get all the ammo you need to help them sell themselves a pen.

It's not so much about you, your time, your work or your dedication. All that can go unsaid but will be evident if you make it about other people, what presses their hot buttons, serves their wants, desires, or interests and builds value in their eyes. This is true for selling anything from pens to vacuums to cars to homes to investments and everything else.

Bruce

bwftex

Oklahoman,
You should write the book. I'm sure we could all learn some things even those of us who may have closed a deal or two in our lives. When you write that book put me on your list for a copy. With so much pen making talent around here just think what might happened if you trained up everyone on the sales end then turned these guys loose. Now that could be some dangerous good fun.

76winger

Bruce

Bruce,

I love all the good comments you made here. It sounds like a summary of several books I've read on selling & marketing and still have yet to instill in my own psyche to a great degree.

Usually the first comment I get from anyone that I hand my pen(s) to for inspection and trial is "WOW, that thing's HEAVY", and I'm a little at a lost for a good response other than "Yes, it's made with metal components and (wood, acrylic, stone) instead of plastic like those you find in a store".

I'm wondering: How do you or others respond more eloquently to that?

jbswearingen

Bruce,

I love all the good comments you made here. It sounds like a summary of several books I've read on selling & marketing and still have yet to instill in my own psyche to a great degree.

Usually the first comment I get from anyone that I hand my pen(s) to for inspection and trial is "WOW, that thing's HEAVY", and I'm a little at a lost for a good response other than "Yes, it's made with metal components and (wood, acrylic, stone) instead of plastic like those you find in a store".

"Yeah, it is heavier than the junk you buy at the store. Feels good, doesn't it?"

panamag8or

Bruce,

"Yeah, it is heavier than the junk you buy at the store. Feels good, doesn't it?"

"That would be the gold titanium"

SteveG

My response to: "WOW, that thing's HEAVY"

Yes, most people have experienced (Note: avoid use of the phrase "you have experienced", as if pointing the finger at a user of cheapie pens).

Starting again:
Yes, most people have experienced the mass produced, inexpensive pens like the one you get from your insurance agent. The pen you are holding is a unique, handcrafted writing instrument. Don't you enjoy the FEEL of quality? (Then continue with your sales pitch.)

bwftex

Bruce,

I'm wondering: How do you or others respond more eloquently to that?[/quote]

Brad,

( assume they are saying "it's heavy.. why is that a good thing, why would I like heavy") Try this next time................

Yes it is compared to many pens. It's like a picking up a Timex watch and then picking up a Rolex...that Rolex is heavy.
Weight is often something people notice right away. Like a fine time piece Premium pens tend to have a bit more heft but they are less work. Here try it, you need no pressure or hard grip just let it cradle comfortably in your hand and let it do the work so smooth any easy..........that feels good doesn't it?

If they say "yeah I do like it, it feels great".......Close! Say something like "can I wrap that up for you or is their another pen here that you may want to get as well today? (take every opportunity to sell multiple pens when you have a likely buyer in front of you. And you should already know if the pen is for them or a gift for someone else) If its for them you might suggest one for their wife or someone special to them as a birthday gift, a special event or mile stone they will celebrate. If it's not suggest they might like one for themselves while you are here. Get them thinking about buying and buying some more. If you take a shot at two pens and miss thats ok because going from the price of two pens to a single pen is a big price drop in their mind without you giving up a penny. But every once in a while they will get two or even three if you at least make the effort to suggest it.

If they say something like "its nice but I think I'd still like something lighter" say something like "Certain materials, component designs can be custom for you. Lets find one here that you feel most comfortable with in weight and size and see what we can do from there." Then find them another lighter pen to try. Try to sell from your inventory because completing a deal right now is always best but if you have to you can ask for a deposit if the two of you agree on a certain style of pen and material.

I like to think of it this way.
Some people aren't going to buy a pen even if they admire them. Some people will just buy a pen and you have to do almost nothing other than be pleasant and polite. The fabulous "lay down!" But even then you should still sell and find out a little about them because there is a potential for multiple sales and referrals.

Many people also want to buy a pen from you but they must go through a mental process when purchasing anything or anything beyond a certain price they may have fixed in their head. If you make the effort you can help them get what they want. Your not really making them buy a pen or persuading them to buy something they don't want. What your doing is not loosing a sale because they were not helped through the mental steps they need to purchase something they want.

Remember many people will ask a question but articulate it as an objection. Often they are just asking Why or How or Show me in their own way. After a while you may hear the same objection over and over again. Once you are comfortable to responding to it will hardly ever be a problem. But one thing to consider if you hear the same thing over and over is that you may be inducing it in your conversation. Analise the things you may be saying frequently that could lead to this.

Bruce

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Bruce,

Brad,

( assume they are saying "it's heavy.. why is that a good thing, why would I like heavy") Try this next time................

Yes it is compared to many pens. It's like a picking up a Timex watch and then picking up a Rolex...that Rolex is heavy.
Weight is often something people notice right away. Like a fine time piece Premium pens tend to have a bit more heft but they are less work. Here try it, you need no pressure or hard grip just let it cradle comfortably in your hand and let it do the work so smooth any easy..........that feels good doesn't it?

If they say "yeah I do like it, it feels great".......Close! Say something like "can I wrap that up for you or is their another pen here that you may want to get as well today? (take every opportunity to sell multiple pens when you have a likely buyer in front of you. And you should already know if the pen is for them or a gift for someone else) If its for them you might suggest one for their wife or someone special to them as a birthday gift, a special event or mile stone they will celebrate. If it's not suggest they might like one for themselves while you are here. Get them thinking about buying and buying some more. If you take a shot at two pens and miss thats ok because going from the price of two pens to a single pen is a big price drop in their mind without you giving up a penny. But every once in a while they will get two or even three if you at least make the effort to suggest it.

If they say something like "its nice but I think I'd still like something lighter" say something like "Certain materials, component designs can be custom for you. Lets find one here that you feel most comfortable with in weight and size and see what we can do from there." Then find them another lighter pen to try. Try to sell from your inventory because completing a deal right now is always best but if you have to you can ask for a deposit if the two of you agree on a certain style of pen and material.

I like to think of it this way.
Some people aren't going to buy a pen even if they admire them. Some people will just buy a pen and you have to do almost nothing other than be pleasant and polite. The fabulous "lay down!" But even then you should still sell and find out a little about them because there is a potential for multiple sales and referrals.

Many people also want to buy a pen from you but they must go through a mental process when purchasing anything or anything beyond a certain price they may have fixed in their head. If you make the effort you can help them get what they want. Your not really making them buy a pen or persuading them to buy something they don't want. What your doing is not loosing a sale because they were not helped through the mental steps they need to purchase something they want.

Remember many people will ask a question but articulate it as an objection. Often they are just asking Why or How or Show me in their own way. After a while you may hear the same objection over and over again. Once you are comfortable to responding to it will hardly ever be a problem. But one thing to consider if you hear the same thing over and over is that you may be inducing it in your conversation. Analise the things you may be saying frequently that could lead to this.

Bruce

[/QUOTE]That describes how I buy most things and at least in my case the best thing to do is stop selling and shut up. If I have any questions I'll ask.

Also, If I say "I'm just kicking tires." that means, short of giving it away there is nothing you can do to get a sale.

Top Bottom