Mark Gisi and Brian Gisi Segmenting History

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings IAP,

I know that Brian Gisi was/is a member of IAP. Am I correct in my understanding that he (Brian) and/or his dad, Frank, came up with what has become known as the "Gisi" style of pen blanks? I couldn't find much historical information, but I am really, really curious about them, how their style evolved, and what is behind the now famous "Gisi Style Pen Blanks". From what I have been able to find and assume is that Brian is a Colorado native. Beyond that I just don't know very much.

Just looking, and hoping, someone can fill in some of the blanks. (No pun intended).

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Dave Ed gave some links for you to look through and I have been here for some time but have to say they may be nice guys and he has met them, and they share their knowledge through videos but you are talking about a different class of pen makers than what shows up here. It was always too bad we could not talk them into become a regular here. Maybe their work schedule was the problem or what but those links that Ed put up show how much they turned the membership against them and much of that became of a contest that was held between the Pen World Magazine and IAP. Without going too deep into this many and I am included felt the IAP forum was misrepresented by them winning under the guise of this forum whom only had about 5 posts between them. Many talented turners from here also entered that contest. But got nothing and not even recognition. Read the threads for yourself and form your own opinion. It is too bad many of the photos from those links were lost.

You ask about the gisis design. Who really knows where it came from just as many other designs and ideas shown here. It is just one of their signature designs they like to include in their many pens. Someone here termed the GISI pens when it was referred to in that contest forum. Here is one of their videos and you will see that design used often. They have a pool Cue DVD out as well as other videos.

Here are some of their pens being sold from a collector. Someone asked here about the $1000 pen well look at these prices and again name recognition goes a long way.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gisi%20pens&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-34002-13078-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=102&keyword=gisi%20pens&crlp=_&MT_ID=&geo_id=&rlsatarget=kwd-77172149202273:loc-190&adpos=&device=c&mktype=&loc=96777&poi=&abcId=&cmpgn=395409865&sitelnk=&adgroupid=1234751765215929&network=o&
matchtype=p&msclkid=59ba6b012ffd112cf4bd0fdf963eb82f

There is an article by Mark Gisi that explained or shown the scallops and angle segmented cuts here in the library. Here is the thread from this site. More reading info and photos of the pens.
https://www.penturners.org/threads/gisi-pen-collection-pix.62692/.

http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/segpenblank.pdf

jttheclockman

I would also like to add one more thing here, yes Gisi style of blanks probably went on to become synonymous with their name mainly because of the fame they gathered from other adventures. But lets not overlook another name that basically shown many new designs that are still being used here by many and some that have not really been copied much because of complexity. he did not get pen designs named for him but many times if his design shows up from a member here you recognize it. he was called Eagle here and he was very innovative. Look his name up and read some of his work.

Top Bottom