Mardi Gras Abalone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bayouusaf

Bayouusaf

My first blank and pen for 2023. Mardi Gras themed abalone blank on a Kojent.

Attachments

• DA196C03-C79F-4EB1-BD5B-8954E04E6496.jpeg
    DA196C03-C79F-4EB1-BD5B-8954E04E6496.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 133
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very nicely done. Did you make the blank and if so could you share some insights as to how you cut the strips and what kind did you use?? There was a thread about using abalone strips here not long ago and people shared how to cut and things. Actually like the kit too. May have to look into that one. Plain yet has character. Thanks for posting.

Bayouusaf

Very nicely done. Did you make the blank and if so could you share some insights as to how you cut the strips and what kind did you use?? There was a thread about using abalone strips here not long ago and people shared how to cut and things. Actually like the kit too. May have to look into that one. Plain yet has character. Thanks for posting.
I did make the blank. My abalone comes from the same folks in Hawaii that you've gotten it from. I use the "flex pearl" from them, which is the thinnest stuff they sell. You can use the "thin lam" stuff they sell also, but it isn't as flexible and therefore doesn't lay down all the way when you lay the strips up.

I'm using a 50W laser to cut my shell.

jttheclockman

I did make the blank. My abalone comes from the same folks in Hawaii that you've gotten it from. I use the "flex pearl" from them, which is the thinnest stuff they sell. You can use the "thin lam" stuff they sell also, but it isn't as flexible and therefore doesn't lay down all the way when you lay the strips up.

I'm using a 50W laser to cut my shell.
Would it be possible to show us your laser set up and tell us make and model of laser? Thanks. I am interested.

Bayouusaf

Would it be possible to show us your laser set up and tell us make and model of laser? Thanks. I am interested.
It's a simple bench top setup. It has a chiller unit underneath and it's vented outside the shop. January is usually a month dedicated to shop improvements for me, so some of that setup will change but not much. This is an OMTech MF1220-50R 50W laser. I have both chuck rotary and roller rotary setups to use on it down the line. This is considered a midrange system and while it can handle up to 1/4 plywood, I won't be using it for that.

Attachments

• 1B84893B-6654-4A41-B025-A7944BF91603.jpeg
    1B84893B-6654-4A41-B025-A7944BF91603.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 46

jttheclockman

It's a simple bench top setup. It has a chiller unit underneath and it's vented outside the shop. January is usually a month dedicated to shop improvements for me, so some of that setup will change but not much. This is an OMTech MF1220-50R 50W laser. I have both chuck rotary and roller rotary setups to use on it down the line. This is considered a midrange system and while it can handle up to 1/4 plywood, I won't be using it for that.
Thank you. I have bookmarked this thread for future use. If I get into wanting to cut abalone with laser. Thanks again.

Top Bottom