march meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I was in Dallas today (yes, in the snow and it took me 4 hrs to get from wood world tx to bedford) and stopped by wood world for few shop staples. I took my own advice and put us on their calendar for a meeting on Sat, March 28. We will never find a date good for everyone. So, we have a meeting in about 5 weeks. So, start making plans and everyone is invited.

There are no plans at the moment but stay tuned for announcsement. I will be demonstrating at the Oregon Symposium the first weekend in march so I will have some topics fresh. Anyone wanting to show and tell can post here. Anyone wanting to see something of special interest can post here also.

I hope we have a good crowd. I know we will have some interesting topics to share.

Pass the word to all you know that are interested.

Meeting at Wood World Texas at 13650 TI blvd close to I75 N and Spring V alley Rd. I have set the time to be from 9 to 2 b but the time can be changed if we need to start a little later.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Thanks Don. I will do my best to make it there. I've found at the meetings I've been able to attend, even if there hasn't been a "Good Crowd" the crowd was always Good.

Cmiles1985

I wish I were a little bit closer! This sounds like it will be an excellent get together. If I can stumble across an extra 14 hours for driving time, I'll aim for a trip to Wood World.

Warren501

I have located to East Texas from Houston and would love to attend. I attended a SAWT meeting a number of years ago when I saw Don present a pen turning demo. I have been hooked ever since.

I too would like to attend and meet some of those individuals whose work is so very inspiring to the rest of us out there. It too will be my first meeting.

its_virgil

What shall we do for the meeting? I can show some of the slimnline mods I do. I can share how I cast. Plano Harry is always willing to show his CA finish. What do those of you attending want to see? Let's talk.
Don

Bowhnter

I really hope I can make it. So much rain, I might need to bale the weeds already.

Skew work and CA, possibly TBC. I'm not making many pens lately.

its_virgil

We won't have time to do any casting plus bringing the needed equipment proves to be a hassel. But, there will be enough knowledgeable members in attendance to answer most of the questions on casting.

We can surely give some pointers and tips on using a skew. I will bring a couple and we can even have some practice time.

Looking forward to the meeting.
Don

info on casting...

Warren501

What about something from Seamus7227 about the way, maybe a demo, of how he cuts out the coins and makes those beautiful pens?

How about something on segmenting?

Since a lot of this group (not me necessarily) anything anyone can share with the others to inspire some creativity and/or share some special skills.

Sataro

We won't have time to do any casting plus bringing the needed equipment proves to be a hassel. But, there will be enough knowledgeable members in attendance to answer most of the questions on casting.

We can surely give some pointers and tips on using a skew. I will bring a couple and we can even have some practice time.

Looking forward to the meeting.
Don

info on casting...

Demo not needed. Information is more than adequate on casting.

its_virgil

I think we will have ample knowledge available to answer most any question about casting. I look forwad to the discussion.

I don't think it is fair to Seamus to ask him to share how he makes the coins thin for his pens. If everyone were making them (like the various styles of casting) then that would be different. He has a process and I'm sure he is wanting to keep it somewhat under his cap. I know I would if in the same boat. I will not be asking him to share about his coins. I can't stop others from doing so. He is a friend and I respect him enough to not ask. If and when he is ready to share I'm sure he will.

Personally I;'m not into segmenting. Maybe somneone attending is and would be willing to some insight and skills next time.

What else do we want to add to the menu. We may have to leave a topic or two for the next meeting.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

Hey There! This is the big Saturday for the meeting at Wood World. I just received a PM from Don and he asked if I would post a heads up for those that will be coming for the first time. We normally have a blank swap at the end so bring something to throw into the hat so you can participate. There are no requirements just a blank that you think someone might like. The official start time is 10am but he said he will shoot for 9am if you want to get there early to shop around. We have to set up chairs ourselves but they have some there we can use. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there and remember there's no age limits so bring all that's willing to come.

its_virgil

Michael...Come on Down!! Of course you are may attend. WoodsWorldTx has a nice selection of pen turning as well as woodturning tools, kits, blanks and otter supplies. I hope you are able to attend.
Don

Hey folks! I'm lookin' to see if a central Okie can join in the shindig! I am not sure if I'll be able to make it but I'd like to if possible!

Michael

seamus7227

ok so i have an update. A good friend of mine is supposed to be coming down to do some snake hunting on his ranch saturday morning and has asked me to assist him. So naturally since i have the gear to do so, that is what i will be doing. Depending on the weather, i may or may not be able to attend the meeting. I've got to be able to keep my snakeskin supply well stocked! I will post an update later

Schoneweis

There is hardly ever a penturners meeting, there is hardly ever a Blade Sports cutting competition. Of course, both are scheduled on March 28, so if I get to penturners, I'll be late.
Maybe by the time I get there Seamus will be doing a demo on snake skinning with the "catch of the day".
Dwight

Top Bottom