Marble Pen - My Advanced Beautiful Pen Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnGreco

JohnGreco

I've been working extensively with solid stone lately as my primary material and wanted to push the limits what could traditionally be turned. Marble rates a 3-4 on the Mohs hardness scale (Soapstone is 1, diamond is 10 for reference). I was able to find a hunk of marble that came from the same quarry as the Lincoln Memorial.

This was one of those times where the pen was sold before it was made (I wish they all were!). I used HSS drill bits and a carbide turning tool. I shattered the first cap near the end, the 2nd one (pictured) took well over 1 hour to drill. I chose solid silver hardware and an 18k gold nib plated with rhodium for a clean look.

The finish is the natural shine of the marble, sanded to 12,000 mm after carefully sealing any microscopic fractures, then buffed repeatedly. Buffing was kind of fun, I could feel the marble heating up nicely and used that as a way to determine when it had been on that wheel long enough.

Disappointed it didn't make it to the Finals but that's the way the cookie crumbles :) Thank you to those who voted for it, there were some fantastic pens this year (as always!).

Attachments

• Marble Pen 3.jpg
    Marble Pen 3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Marble Pen 4.jpg
    Marble Pen 4.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 206
  • Marble Pen 2.jpg
    Marble Pen 2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

:confused: Very impressive!!! A fellow at a woodworking show brought me some coreings from a mine on his property. Looks like it is mostly Granet, Quartz, and has a little bit of gold in it. I was wondering what type of drill bit you used on yours. Jim S

JohnGreco

Thanks folks.

:confused: Very impressive!!! A fellow at a woodworking show brought me some coreings from a mine on his property. Looks like it is mostly Granet, Quartz, and has a little bit of gold in it. I was wondering what type of drill bit you used on yours. Jim S

HSS drill bits. Sharpened every 3/8".

plantman

Thanks folks.

HSS drill bits. Sharpened every 3/8".

Thank you John!! Sad to say, but I don't think most people realize how diffucult and time consuming this type of pen is to make. You have all my respect and administration for doing such a great piece of craftsmanship on this project. I am sure whomever you made it for will proudly show off your fantastic work. Jim S

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work! Thanks also for the description - You can appreciate it even more after knowing the challenge (as with all the submissions).

JohnGreco

Thank you for the kind words. I actually blew out the first cap after about an hour into that one and had to step away from it for a day. It was pretty nervewracking start to finish but am glad to have been able to make it.

That is indeed an impressive pen. Just out of curiosity, how much does it weigh?

I'll try to weigh it when I can, currently it's not in my possession. It does have some weight, but it rests nicely in the crook of your hand.

OZturner

A Fantastic Creation John,
I loved the way you said "That's the way the cookie crumbles" I thought "Yes better the Cookie than the Marble" as no doubt you would.
I cannot imaging tackling something as difficult as a pen out of marble.
I Salute you for your Courage, Daring and your Achievement.
Brian.

JohnGreco

Thanks :) I actually had the first cap crumble after a little over an hour into drilling it. Had to take a break from it for a day. Ruined cap meant slicing up more on the wet the saw and another hour+ before getting back to where I was. I think that's the hardest part of any highly challenging material or process- all the work it takes to get back to where you just were.

Top Bottom