Maple with Black Walnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Seer

Seer

My largest bowl to date and my first time gluing 2 pieces together. It measures 5 1/2 inches across and 3 inches deep. Made of Maple with Black Walnut. Made some mistakes, had a tear out, some rough areas etc but over all I think it looks good. I finished it with mediuum CA and BLO and LOML promptly claimed it for her candy dish lol. I thought pens made a mess but bowls take the cake there giving my shop vac a real workout.

Attachments

• Maple Walnut 1_resize.JPG
    Maple Walnut 1_resize.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 172
  • Finished 3_resize.JPG
    Finished 3_resize.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Finished 2_resize.jpg
    Finished 2_resize.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Finished 1sm.jpg
    Finished 1sm.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Before Finish 2sm.jpg
    Before Finish 2sm.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

The bowl looks great. Congratulations on all those firsts!

I'm not to sure about the paper joint between the faceplate and the bowl though. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this. I know paper joints are used on spindle turning to turn split posts, I'm just curious if they are strong enough in this application.

Seer

So far the p[aper joint works fine. I use it because I have seen videos and read it is one way to seperate the bowl from the faceplate.

lorbay

Very nice. Try a foot next time and you can always include it in the bottom of your bowl rather than using a waste block.

Lin.

Last edited:

broitblat

My largest bowl to date and my first time gluing 2 pieces together. It measures 5 1/2 inches across and 3 inches deep. Made of Maple with Black Walnut. Made some mistakes, had a tear out, some rough areas etc but over all I think it looks good. I finished it with mediuum CA and BLO and LOML promptly claimed it for her candy dish lol. I thought pens made a mess but bowls take the cake there giving my shop vac a real workout.

That's a good looking bowl. I like the combination.

My poor shop vac can't keep up with bowl shavings, so I have sweep most of it up, first.

-Barry

cbatzi01

Very nice bowl. How did the CA/BLO finish work out? I would think the bowl is too much surface area to get a good even finish with CA. I use either just the beal buffing wheels, or wipe-poly.

I have never tried the paper joint, but have seen it recommended many placed. This is one of the times a 4-jaw chuck comes in handy!

Nice work!
Chris

fernhills

I used to use paper for all face plate turnings years and years ago, i thought that was the only way. I used brown paper bag though, never used regular white paper. Carl

jleiwig

Nice bowl.

I've been trying and trying for thin and better proportions with my small bowl attempts, some have been successful and some haven't!

Top Bottom