Manu Propria's NEW "Iki" Roller Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

Iki - Refined Style. The word "iki" began to be used to describe the refined dress and manner of Geisha during the Meireki era. Iki shares concepts such as austerity, and existetial beauty with the other Japanese aesthetics of "wabi" and "sabi". Iki can be at once simple and sophisticated, ephemeral or straightforward, measured or audacious, smart or romantic

The weight just 31 grams. Total length +/- 170 mm, length barrel with nib 160 mm, diameter 15/17 mm, diameter section 12.50 mm. The Iki Roller Pens are available in over 100 urushi lacquers

Best regards,

Martin

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 135
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 145
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Martin, I just run out of superlatives when commenting on your craftsmanship.
Excellent is not near enough adequate.

From what I have read on Urushi finishes that a special cabinet is required as the curing temperature is critical. What do you use yourself?

Alan

manupropria

Martin, I just run out of superlatives when commenting on your craftsmanship.
Excellent is not near enough adequate.

From what I have read on Urushi finishes that a special cabinet is required as the curing temperature is critical. What do you use yourself?

Alan
Thank you Alan. All Urushi workers use a so called "Urushimuro" or "Urushiburo" or just "Furô".
The ideal temperature is +/-25 degree celsius and a constant humidity of 75 to 80%.
The curing process is a very difficult and challenging thing.
When the humidity is to high, respectively the lacquer layer slightly to thick, wrinkles are built on the surface and has tto be gground away. This effect is called "Chijimu". The reverse effect is called "bokeru" when the layers are to thin respectively the humidity is to low, the lacquer stays sticky and doesn't get hard. When humidity is risen to 90% it is possible the lacquer still to cure within 5 to 7 days. Some years ago I lost a big lot of works because of heavy raain during the night.

MedWoodWorx

Iki - Refined Style. The word "iki" began to be used to describe the refined dress and manner of Geisha during the Meireki era. Iki shares concepts such as austerity, and existetial beauty with the other Japanese aesthetics of "wabi" and "sabi". Iki can be at once simple and sophisticated, ephemeral or straightforward, measured or audacious, smart or romantic

The weight just 31 grams. Total length +/- 170 mm, length barrel with nib 160 mm, diameter 15/17 mm, diameter section 12.50 mm. The Iki Roller Pens are available in over 100 urushi lacquers

Best regards,

Martin
Thank you for sharing your work, hope to see more pens from you. Where did u train if you don't mind me asking?
Your craftsmanship exceeds all standards, cheers.

Fine Engineer

Seems that this might be a problem here in the dry high desert where the typical humidity is seldom over 50%. I would need an environmentally controlled enclosure in order to do any of these. That said, I wonder just how difficult that would be to make.

manupropria

Thank you very much.
Regarding Humidity: here in Switzerland the humidity is very low. In Japan the humidity is extremely high.
I use a stainless steel "Muro" and I am regulating humidity with wet towels (Picture 1 and 2). My friend in Japan has a traditional Muro made of wood. Temperature and humidity in Summer is maintained by Aircon, in Winter humidity kept stabile by a hot plate evaporising water and temperature with an electric stove (Picture 3 to 5)
I learned working with urushi by myself, learning by doing

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 82

wimkluck

Manupropria said: I learned working with urushi by myself, learning by doing. That means there is hope for me. I consider to buy the starter set at dictum. Did i read it correctly: do you apply 100 layers of urushi on each pen?
I forgot to tell you the pens a beautiful.

manupropria

Attachments

• P1010403.jpg
    P1010403.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 61
  • P1010404.jpg
    P1010404.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Top Bottom