Manu Propria - Tomato Lacquer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

The custom of using red-lacquered (cinnabar) utensils in religious environments forms part of the earliest lacquer production traditions in Japan. In the buddhist context, the existance of a variety of red-lacquered implements produced on a high level of demand is testified by temple inventories as early as the ninth century.

Cinnabar was considered a most luxurious material. Since ancient times it was used as vermillion (Shû) for lacquer varnishing.
Mercury cinnabar (Ryûka suigin or suiginshû) was only available in regions with deposits of mercury layers and whos use would most likely have been limited to urban centers of power only.

Negoro lacquers (red and black) form part of the eldest lacquer tradition in Japan.

Enjoy weekend,

Best regards,

Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 203
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 228
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

It's very nice to see this variety of pens, etc. (and, I was going to say, "fruit" ... but is tomato a fruit or a vegetable ... LOL ! )

Thanks for showing, Martin !! . Your descriptions are also always very interesting and fun to read too !!

Alan Morrison

Excellent as always, Martin.
I'm also impressed with your blemish free tomatoes. They look good.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit---- Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
Alan

Teodor

I like the combination with the metal powder. I will try to push further my Urushi journey.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I am humbled and amazed with the breadth of your skills. But I very much appreciating your artistry. I love the first picture with the textured pen - exquisite. All the rest are just plainly superb. ;)

Charlie_W

I will echo Mark's comments on your pens. They all get a EEE rating from me......Excellent, Exquisite, and Elegant!
Also, your photography is top notch as well.
Well done on all counts. The red/black pens are my all time favorites.

Top Bottom